Lessons from Lou

This blog is about my journey through the brain tumor world with my dear husband, Lou. While not a journey I would wish on even my worst enemy, it is a journey that has enlightened and awakened me to what lies within us, and around us, each and every moment of each and every day. There are lessons here....lessons in this journey.....lessons from Lou....that I would like to share with you.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Picture of Lou (sick) and I at a party, circa 2005, long ago and faraway. I'm now a middle aged widow, trying to get my life back together. Mother of two young adult sons, living with two adult cats.

Monday, January 29, 2007

Another First

It was a fairy tale wedding, Saturday night. Could not have been more beautiful. Such a well matched couple. Their futures so bright before them. Everyone so happy. The bride was exquisite. Her father, so proud. I am glad I have sons. I am glad the tradition is that the father walks the bride down the aisle. We won't have to worry about that at least. Lou won't be there. He won't be there to see his sons get married. That hurts, deeply. How proud he would be, whenever that time comes. This was the first wedding I've attended since Lou died. It was hard. Parts of it were very hard for me. The vows. "For better or worse, in sickness and in health..." Sigh. Those vows are real. I took them very seriously. And I am proud of that. We had the "better", we had "health", so we take what comes with it. That's what a vow is, isn't it. No matter what. I remember our day so clearly. How sure I was. How happy I was. How in love I was. How long ago that was. So long ago.... I made it through the ceremony with my kleenex and waterproof mascara. The dinner was so lovely. I was seated with dear friends, thank you. That helped so much. Then, on to dancing. You all know I love to dance. I sat on the sidelines with my friends. We had dessert. We drank champagne. We checked out all the pretty young girls and their party dresses. And then, quite late, a girlfriend wanted to dance. And her husband did not. And onto the dance floor we went. And then, pretty soon, there were several of us out there, dancing up a storm. Girlfriends. Laughing and having a good old time. We danced a few numbers. And then, we drifted off, each our own ways, it was time to go. I made it through the night. And it was not so bad. It was not so bad at all. It was different. It was not the same. And I missed Lou. But I made it through. And I'm glad I went. I made it through another first. The first of many, I know.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, You made it and I am very happy that you decided on going.. even with the rollercoaster of emotions, it was great that you went even though you had expected it to be worse than it actually was.. It is the first of many firsts but if you are as courageous and head on as you were on Saturday, you will be just fine.. not to say that there wont be tears and sad days.. But you seem so very strong and I think you are handling things quite well…

1:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cathy,
When I read your post I immediately thought of a quote that I absolutely love. I love quotes that make me think...this one does...especially during this time I am spending in the "brain tumor world." The quote is: "JUST BECAUSE EVERYTHING IS DIFFERENT DOESN'T MEAN THAT ANYTHING HAS CHANGED." I truly believe that quote - because yes, so many things are different now...but...your love for Lou and my love for Dan has never changed...if we look hard enough we can see so many things that have remained the same. And for that I am thankful.

7:22 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

I am so very glad you went and so glad you enjoyed. It would not be right if you didn't "miss" Lou as you begin these "firsts" so Cathy it is ok. Keep plugging along and cover yourself with the covers when you just can't do it!

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home