Lessons from Lou

This blog is about my journey through the brain tumor world with my dear husband, Lou. While not a journey I would wish on even my worst enemy, it is a journey that has enlightened and awakened me to what lies within us, and around us, each and every moment of each and every day. There are lessons here....lessons in this journey.....lessons from Lou....that I would like to share with you.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Picture of Lou (sick) and I at a party, circa 2005, long ago and faraway. I'm now a middle aged widow, trying to get my life back together. Mother of two young adult sons, living with two adult cats.

Monday, December 04, 2006

Cleaning House

I haven't cleaned out any of Lou's things yet. I like having his closet full of his clothes. It makes me feel less alone in our room. It's less empty. Sometimes, I just look at all his clothes, touch the sleeves of his suits, and bury my head in the shirts that still smell of his cologne. Eventually, I'll probably find homes for some of his clothes. But some will probably stay there, in the closet. Keeping me company. I haven't really gotten rid of much, yet. I did get rid of a file box hiding in our room that had bank statements in it from 1988, no attachment to those. The medications...that's another one. I still have all of Lou's pills lined up in the cabinet where we kept them. And there are alot of pills. Don't ask me why we still have them, I don't know why. I could use the shelf space. Everyone knows I am not a neat nik. So the fact that I have not yet gotten rid of anything of Lou's probably doesn't surprise anyone. The thing is, LOU was the pack rat in our household! Hence the bank statements from 1988. Now I'M the designated pack rat it seems. Well, today I did get rid of something of Lou's. I stumbled upon a Walgreens bag in the pantry that I thought was empty. It wasn't. It contained three of Lou's medications, dated August 24, 2006. Seven days before Lou died. The medications were liquid and dissolveable forms of a few of his pills. At that point, we were having problems getting his pills down. I was desperate to keep him taking some of his medications, thinking, somehow, he'd feel better, start eating and drinking more, and ultimately, get better to a certain degree. When you are deep in the dark waters of impending death, you don't realize it. You think things like, well, this is just a bad day. Or, if only he would eat, he'd be doing better. Or what about a certain piece of music, wouldn't that perk him up? Inevitably, at that point, August 24, none of the usual tricks worked. Those medications were never opened. Never used. We weren't even able to get the liquid meds in him. I emptied them down the sink, and threw out the dissolveable pills. Throwing those out felt good. Because I was mad, mad that he was never able to take them. Mad that they were dated August 24. Mad that August 31 was just around the corner. Maybe I should give this house cleaning thing a try after all. But not the closet. Not the closet, for a long time.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think its okay to hang onto things. I've cleaned house, I'm holding on to a couple of drawers. Most of the items mean very little to anyone else, but I still want to hang on to them.

11:49 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

Cathy
Hang on tight to whatever you feel you need to. No one can take those things away. I carry the last picture taken of my dad, so sick in the hospital, in my backpack everyday. Some days I look at it and some I don't but it brings some comfort to me. No one can take those things away. Do what feels comfortable. Love you my friend.

9:50 PM  
Blogger Claudia said...

Cathy:

The hardest part of moving out of our home in Georgetown was trying to decide what to do with Rob's closet. I just packed most of it up and brought it with me. Not smart -- even expensive -- but all I could think to do. Looking at what to keep and what to let go of, especially when I feel as if I have lost so much of him already, was just too hard then [October] and still is now. I am sure I will get to it at some point.

And I did not throw away the meds until the move either, 14 months after he died.

I just keep going back to Joan Didion's image of keeping her husband's black shoes, long after he had been cremated, thinking that he would need them when he came home. That "magical thinking" that lets us still hope/pretend[?] they are coming back to us and will need their "stuff," when it is we who need them in our "stuff!"

Love to you and the boys tonight,

Claudia

5:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm smiling Cathy. I have all of Jeannie's clothes, and I smelled them and held them, as you are doing. But I finally got jealous of the closet space, and after determining that our daughter was not ready to go through things to see what she might like, I have boxed them up, with the idea that they will go into storage...The smile is that those 7 large boxes are sitting behind me as I type this....There is no hurry on anything. The right time will present itself. Jim Decourcey

12:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cathy,
When my father-in-law passed away a couple years ago my mother-in-law, had quilts made from most of his shirts. She kept one for herself and gave one to each of their kids. It's a wonderful keepsake and full of memories. We can see different shirts and remember him wearing them. Consider doing something like that.

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home