Lessons from Lou

This blog is about my journey through the brain tumor world with my dear husband, Lou. While not a journey I would wish on even my worst enemy, it is a journey that has enlightened and awakened me to what lies within us, and around us, each and every moment of each and every day. There are lessons here....lessons in this journey.....lessons from Lou....that I would like to share with you.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Picture of Lou (sick) and I at a party, circa 2005, long ago and faraway. I'm now a middle aged widow, trying to get my life back together. Mother of two young adult sons, living with two adult cats.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Extra Ordinary

Things are not always as they seem. This morning, I awoke to what appeared to be a "flat" sky at dawn. By "flat", I mean the color was diffused, soft, misty looking, with no real focal point. Beautiful, yes, most definitely. But the first word that came to me was "flat". Maybe because that is how I was feeling. Flat. For a whole host of reasons. I reached for my glasses (blind as a bat), just to take another look at the flat dawn. It was not flat at all. It was utterly amazing. A very distinct, wide, ray was shooting upwards from the horizon, from the sun that was still sleeping, somewhere below the water. I could hardly believe my eyes, it was THAT beautiful. What I thought was a pretty, but somewhat non distinct sky, was so much more when I made the effort to look more closely. When I made the effort to get up, put on my glasses, and see. Really see. This is the pic. I wanted to share it. It can be so easy to dismiss the ordinary. To MISS, in the ordinary, the extra. To miss what is really there. I know, I ended the blog. I wanted to end on a high note, and the red dress WAS a high note. But I'm still learning. Maybe I'll be back, every now and then. Please check. Until next time.....

9 Comments:

Blogger The Kitchen said...

What a treat to hear from you again!! You, dear Cathy, are extraordinary, too!

t

4:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cathy,
I couldn't believe my eyes when I opened your blog!!! Just a couple of weeks ago, early one morning while my son and I were standing in the kitchen before work in the morning, I happened to glance out the window and saw the sunrise over the lake....but not the usual sunrise, but a sunrise exactly like what you posted....with a very distinct ray of light shooting upward! I didn't get a picture, but my son did....I'll have to get his to compare to yours....but MORE IMPORTANTLY, I loved what you said about.... "it can be so easy to dismiss the ordinary. To MISS, in the ordinary, the extra" .....SO TRUE

Nice to "hear" you back on here Cathy....I miss your words of wisdom....

Sharon

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cathy,
Your blog entries almost always bring tears to my eyes and a lump in my throat.
I believe it is because you write from a depth in your soul that most people never have the ability to reach in themselves...
You speak from your heart and it reaches mine on a level that I cannot explain.
Thank you for sharing the beautiful sunrise...
It reminds me of Dan before he got sick.......We used to live on a road named Wren. So many nights he would point to the sky and say to me...Ahhh...another beautiful sunset on Wren...

Thanks for reminding me of wonderful pre-bt memories, Cathy.
Love, Lisa Kidd

11:08 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

"Extra Ordinary" is how I felt when I opened your blog as I often do because I miss your wise words and found you had shared with us once again. As always you shared from the depth of your soul and refreshed my soul. You are amazing. Thank You and look forward to these occassional surprises.

4:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I went to your blog today to delete it from my favorites....I figured it's silly to keep it there since you don't post to it anymore. I think I've been waiting this long to delete it because I missed hearing from you and hoped you'd post again, say you're starting a new kind of blog, something. I was surprised and delighted! I don't have to delete it....I can keep checking periodically....You made my day! And what a beuatiful sunrise, indeed, once you take the time to really see it. Thank you for sharing once again.
Marilyn

3:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Cath, as usual, you see with the heart, you see clearly.

Thanks for sharing your vision with us.

Love you,
ALWAYS
Country Mouse
Chelle
www.daveshell.blogspot.com
www.caringbridge.org/wa/davemeyer

3:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely surprise! The sunrise and your words were lovely! It was such a treat to hear from you unexpectedly. Hope life continues to touch you with the ordinary and EXTRAordinary!

7:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

More .... More ... More!!!

Love you,
C

9:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, had intended to delete your blog address from my favorites and now am so glad I didn't! This has been a long, sad winter for me -- thanks for brightening this day!

Much love,
Lori Ware

3:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home