Lessons from Lou

This blog is about my journey through the brain tumor world with my dear husband, Lou. While not a journey I would wish on even my worst enemy, it is a journey that has enlightened and awakened me to what lies within us, and around us, each and every moment of each and every day. There are lessons here....lessons in this journey.....lessons from Lou....that I would like to share with you.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Picture of Lou (sick) and I at a party, circa 2005, long ago and faraway. I'm now a middle aged widow, trying to get my life back together. Mother of two young adult sons, living with two adult cats.

Thursday, November 01, 2007

A Red Dress, Redux and a Fond Farewell

Yes, it's true. This will be my last post. Saturday night, I wore a red dress. This is a pic of me, the red dress, and the gorgeous flowers I was given for the event. If you do not know about me and red dresses, take a few minutes to read this post: Tuesday, January 16, 2007 , and you will then understand. You will understand what it means to me to have worn a red dress this weekend. You will know that wearing a red dress again means it's time to end the blog. You will know that wearing a red dress means I'm happy, again. That it is possible to be happy, again. It's possible to dance, sing, laugh, play and wear red dresses again. It's possible to look forward. It's possible to get through a day without thinking of what we went through. It will never leave me. The journey, it will always be a part of me. Lou, our love, our life together...wrapped in my heart, forever. But I know there are new journeys to take. And I know the heart can hold more. I know that moving forward is a way to use what the lessons taught me. To move forward is to share the goodness God has given us, because there is goodness in this life, there is. There has been, and still is. Thank you for sharing the journey. Thank you for your support and encouragement. May you find goodness in your life, it is there, even in our darkest times. It comes on the wing of a monarch butterfly perched on a blade of grass in the sun. It comes on a gentle wave lapping the sand. It comes in a phone call from a friend, a hug, a wink, a shared laugh. It comes as the sun rises and sets, each and every day. It comes in holding the hands of tiny children, in dancing til dawn, in the snap of fresh apples. I know this, now. Lessons learned.

16 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

dance, sing, laugh, play and wear red dresses again; I hope those are things you will do for a long time my dear friend. We will miss you and your words of wisdom. I feel blessed to have connected you and I will hold you in my heart and prayer forever. Go now and live life anew!

9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure Lou is very pleased that you are ready to wear red...as you have said, it was always his favorite for you, and he certainly wants you to be happy again. Thank you for sharing so much of yourself...you cannot know how much you and Lou have affected others. Lessons from Lou, indeed, and from Cathy, too. Lessons in how to live and love, and live again. I still think you have a book here...perhaps now is not the right time for you, but don't dismiss the thought. Thank you, Lou, and thank you, Cathy. I won't forget either of you. Best wishes.
Marilyn

11:32 AM  
Blogger The Kitchen said...

Precious Cathy,
You amaze me - your heart is so good. Your love for Lou, your strength, your will, your determination, your goodness --all are so abundant. Thank you for sharing so much in the blog. I will never forget the Lessons I too have learned.
I was honored to meet you, and privileged to become your friend. You are one of a kind, dear one.
Big hug,
t

10:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cathy--I feel like a friend is moving--and unlike a friend moving and still having some connection--altho different--this feels final. And so I feel a sense of sadness--for me. And then I feel selfish. You have shared so well and so honestly that we've had the rare opportunity so see inside your soul. And you are one of those individuals that's hard to let go. To say "thank you" for the "lessons" seems so small--when what you gave us is huge. Just huge. I truly will miss you--but I'm also so excited for you. LIFE is calling for you--and we just get one go around--so live large!!!
You will not be forgotten--
Alayne

3:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just came across your blog tonight. My wife died on September 1, from a brain tumor 3 days after we took her to the hospital. I am at the beginning of the journey you have been on. I will start your blog at the beginning and know that it ends happily, with you wearing red, and I look forward to when I will be ready to do the same.

8:08 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My friend,
godspeed on your new journey.
Wear red.
Smile.
Laugh.
And yes,
cry sometimes.
Live it to the fullest.
I'll see you.
Love your country mouse.

www.daveshell.blogspot.com

10:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are an amazing woman.
Stay happy. Have fun.
I will never forget you.
Thank you

8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Cathy.You have helped me so much.Good luck in your future.

Lorraine m/o Alex 15 gbm and daughter of Ann who passed away with Cancer.

2:38 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Cathy,

I've been so busy, I'm only just now getting a chance to check in on your last post. I'm so glad you wore red again! You look gorgeous, and I know you felt great.

I am going to miss you so. But, I am so happy that you are moving on.

May you find happiness at every turn. I know all who will pass through your life will gain so much from the experience, just as I did.

Best wishes...
Deb

4:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Cathy,
I'm so happy for you. I'm so grateful that you've shared the stages of Lou's illness and subsequently, the stages of your profound grief so honestly with us. And now there is a new beginning and I hope the reason that you look so radiant in this picture wearing a red dress that there's a special someone with whom you can share this new part of your life.
Sending you much love and best wishes for a happy life,
Ursula
Mother of Jennifer, a 4/ 1/2 year GBM survivor

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cathy
I'm so pleaqsed to see you doing so well. You look beautiful in your red dress - how fantastic that you can be happy and feel good about that. Your journey with Lou was inspirational for me personally and your posts to the Braintumour list have been such a blessing. wanted to say thank you so much for all you've done.
Be blessing in your new life
love
Juliet

9:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best wishes, Cathy, as you move into the future with a smile on your face!

Trueda
mom of Josh, 26, AA, dx 12/06

10:19 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Cathy I am so happy for you. You look amazing and you give us all hope. You will never know how much you have helped all of us on our own journey's with Cancer. Its been so hard not "hearing" your words of wisdom online and I will miss my "lessons". You are an inspiration and I wish you all the best and I pray for your niece's cancer to be cured. Maybe one day we'll read your sequel.

Take care -

Lisa d/o Dewey GBMIV 10/26/05

10:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Cathy..
I am sorry for not knowing you or your blog from the very beginning, all my best wishes and pray for you, Cathy

5:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cathy,
You are a special person and you were chosen to be Lou's Angel to guide him through his life journey till the end. Now it's your turn, to embrace life and live it to the fullest. Your " lessons from Lou " makes you the person you are today. God Bless you and your family.

Chris in Indiana

9:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your words go straight to my heart everytime and then come the tears. The tears of sorrow and the tears of joy. Thankyou for what you have given us here. For opening our eyes.For the hope, the love, the understanding and compassion. We do all have lessons to learn. Our own lessons.But yet the same. Its a journey we will never foreget. Its a bond we all share. Thankyou for teaching us so much. Its important to know that life goes on and we can be happy agian. It just takes time.I will never foreget you. Colleen Brann w/o Tim

11:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home