Lessons from Lou

This blog is about my journey through the brain tumor world with my dear husband, Lou. While not a journey I would wish on even my worst enemy, it is a journey that has enlightened and awakened me to what lies within us, and around us, each and every moment of each and every day. There are lessons here....lessons in this journey.....lessons from Lou....that I would like to share with you.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Picture of Lou (sick) and I at a party, circa 2005, long ago and faraway. I'm now a middle aged widow, trying to get my life back together. Mother of two young adult sons, living with two adult cats.

Thursday, May 03, 2007

A Positive Post

I promised myself yesterday that I would post a positive note one of these days. Yes, I struggle daily with the after effects of dealing with our brain tumor journey. Correct, it does not leave me. And of course, Lou is always, always on my mind. Always. BUT, life is not all that bad. I don't want to give anyone the impression that I am totally falling apart. Not true. I'm coping, as they say. Some days are better than others. Some days are basically ok for the most part. No day is ever TOTALLY ok, but, that's ok. That's as it should be, that's as it will be. Life was never totally ok before all this either, right? But THOSE issues seem so so small now......anyway, the positive post! Here ya go: TOP TEN REASONS TO BE HAPPY TODAY (note, I do NOT know how to make this into an easy to read honest to goodness LIST, so sorry ). I type it like a list and it comes out all strung together. l. My little gurrrlll kitty was sooooo mushy to me last night. She is ALWAYS a bit standoffish. EVERYTHING has to be on HER terms (imagine that!). She NEVER jumps in your lap. Well, she did last night, TWICE actually. Bliss! 2. Hugs from my sons. They are the best (the hugs AND the sons!) 3. I got some messy paperwork done yesterday after much bureacracy. HATE THAT, but LOVE that it's DONE! 4. Driving my new car with the music cranked up and the sun roof open 5. My newest baby great niece who fell asleep in my arms on Sunday. 6. My nieces, all of them. The great nieces and their moms. They are like daughters (and ok, I guess grand daughters too), to me. 7. Trader Joe's flowers. One can actually afford to buy flowers weekly there! Thank you, Joe. 8. TWO HOURS of Grey's Anatomy tonight! 9. Female doctors. YOUNG female doctors (no, this has nothing to do with #8). I have two great female doctors who have children and therfore work three long days vs. five. I think this is wonderful. I must be getting old, but I can remember when all doctors were MEN. How on EARTH could a FEMALE handle being a DOCTOR ? I'm certainly glad we have figured THAT one out, and I LOVE that they seem to manage it ALL. Of COURSE they do. They are women after all. 10. Comments on my blog from people like EMILY. Wow, Emily, I don't know who you are, I would have loved to have met you on the walk. I am so sorry about your dear sister. I will keep her in my prayers. Thank you for reading. The sun is out. Gotta rally.

5 Comments:

Blogger Annie said...

Thanks for this post and all of the others. It is so helpful to read your journey, while everyone's battle is different I think at times we all feel the same...helpless.

Congrats on the walk, we have a Relay for Life here in our small town for the Canadian Cancer Society.

2:05 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Cathy
Thank you for this post today. Tomorrow (Friday, May 4) is the two year anniversary of my dad's death and I was feeling pretty sad. It made me stop to remember the good things that are happening and made my day a bit brighter. Keep thinking of the good in life.

7:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cathy.. I ALWAYS read this site... even when you don't update.. i just go through the history and read.. so much emotions.. raw emotions that touch me to the core.. I understand teh sadness and the waves of emotions- i seem to be going through that more now. I dont really understand it because for the most part she's doing well - and then she has a seizure or an anxiety attack or gets overwhelmed and its so hard to see that with my mother who was (and is) the rock of the family.. its really hitting me now more than at the beginning, especially the fear- fear of the tumor re occuring, fear of losing my mother forever.. i think you're coping trememdously well- whether you believe it or not..

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can list at least three good things that would not have happened if Fred had not gotten sick:

1.) Cathy Beres ... without Fred's illness, I would not have met you .. and I regularly thank God for you.

2.) Michelle Meyer ... not one of us on this journey hasn't been touched by Dave's story. Come to think of it, I regularly thank God for Michelle too!

3.) I take nothing for granted anymore.

It is tough sometimes to remember that some good comes from every experience ... not matter how horrifying the experience is.

Love to you all!

10:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oops ... I really should proof read BEFORE I post.

Sorry :o(

10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home