Lessons from Lou

This blog is about my journey through the brain tumor world with my dear husband, Lou. While not a journey I would wish on even my worst enemy, it is a journey that has enlightened and awakened me to what lies within us, and around us, each and every moment of each and every day. There are lessons here....lessons in this journey.....lessons from Lou....that I would like to share with you.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Picture of Lou (sick) and I at a party, circa 2005, long ago and faraway. I'm now a middle aged widow, trying to get my life back together. Mother of two young adult sons, living with two adult cats.

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

A Surprise

The car story is getting old, isn't it. But it has sort of consumed me and impacted me in an emotional way that I had not expected. I am giving our car to a dear nephew who lives in a warmer climate. He will care for it until such time that it is too costly or we want it back. We can't park it here in Chicago. It will be loved and cared for. But it will drive away on Saturday, and the new car will take it's parking space, and I am still sad thinking about it. Even more so, now. Today I had to look in the lock box for the title to the car. I cannot find it and need it. Lou bought the car 24 years ago, I have no idea where the title might be. I can't find it anywhere here in his piles of papers. It was not in the six file boxes I have already gone through of his. It is not in the lockbox where some other important papers are. But I found something else in the lock box. Something I had not seen before. And I've been in the lock box many times. Some of those times, with Lou. You would think he might have pointed this out, but he didn't. Maybe he forgot it was there. What I found was a cassette tape, addressed "To Whom It May Concern", to be opened upon Lou's death. It was dated 1976. Several years before we met and married. I took the envelope home with me. I popped the tape in the car player as I drove to pick Damon up from school later in the day. Wow. It was Lou. It was sooooo Lou. Lou, spelling out what should be done, in the event "something should happen to him", on the eve of a trip to London. In typical Lou fashion, it was quite detailed. He went through EVERYTHING, including the contents of his drawers, closet, and I swear, kitchen cabinets. He mentions the current prices of things, such as skiis (with metal bindings mind you) and poles, $250. He talks about how he would like to be buried. Fortunately, without having heard this, and never really discussing it with Lou, we got that part right. He did want to be buried with his Dad, which is not here in Chicago. Now his mother, and sister are with them also, which Lou could not have known at the time he made the tape. He wanted a simple, metal casket. We didn't do that. Nope. Try to tell my son anything less then the best for his dad. No, he didnt' have the metal casket. He wanted a simple service. His service was simply beautiful, and elegant, and so fitting of Lou. I think he would have liked it. There are funny moments in the tape. He readily admits to being a pack rat , "I'm still hoping to clean up my papers one of these days". He chuckles over the things he has saved. And wonders who on earth would want most of it. "Just toss it all out", he says. He talks about his mom. He loved her so and wanted her to be cared for. He talks about his life. At the end of the tape he says, "whatever it is that has happened to me, you can rest assured I've had a good life". He goes on to say he has squeezed every last drop out of every moment. He didn't know, at that time, that there would be more. That there would be SO MUCH more to his life. He didn't know there would be a whirlwind courtship and marriage to a younger woman. He didn't know he would be the very proud father to two wonderful sons. He didn't know he would have his own, successful business. He didn't know we would be fortunate enough to travel the world. He didn't know his sister, and his mother, would soon pass away. He didn't know he'd get a brain tumor. But he did know he had lived a good life. Even then, he knew it. I listened to the tape through tears. His voice sounded younger. I could see the twinkle in his eyes, and the occasional wink he'd give. He might have been smoking a pipe. He cared about the details. He cared about doing the right thing. He cared about his family and friends. I wish I had known him then. I wish I had had more time with him. 25 years is a long time, but not long enough. It's never long enough. But it was good. It was more than good. If I were making a similiar tape today, I would certainly say the same thing. That I had lead a good life. And mostly, it was due to Lou. Thank you, my love.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just when I thought you couldn't possibly touch my heart any more than you already have, you come up with another surprise from Lou... Thank you, Cathy, for sharing these moments with the rest of us. All I can say is, "wow"...
Lori Ware

5:23 AM  
Blogger The Kitchen said...

Cathy- that is such a beautiful and dear story. I have tears in my eyes. I am so happy for you that you found that tape. What a treasure! Thank you for sharing!
t

7:47 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

What a great surprise -- Lou's voice to save forever and ever. For those days when you just don't think you can go on without hearing it; it will be there to pop in and listen. It isn't the same as a touch but it is something. I have to say this entry was hard to hear through the tears but I don't think they were necessarily sad tears but happy tears because it really was a found treasure. Sweet Lou visited you once again.

12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have just through your entire blog - from the last wink from Lou, the last dance, your father's death, the small note of Lou's death, and all the in between posts. I cried with you . . .

The same year you lost your husband, I lost my 16 year old son. I did not have the good-byes . . . I don't know if that makes it harder or not. But I can relate to your emotions - the ups and downs - the going through things. I remember when we sold our son's car - watching it leave our driveway for the last time. I wanted to run after it. Many of his things are still here - but many changes too. I am thankful for the memories - but oh, miss him so much, as you do Lou. I am thankful for the little treasures we have found of our son's along the way - even last week finding one of his hunting licenses with his signature on it. Treasures.

Thank you for sharing so beautifully. I appreciate your sharing your raw emotions. It was not boring. It was not a downer for me. I could relate. I will have your blog bookmarked to return to again.

BTW, I am on the other side of Lake Michigan - in Michigan. I grew up in Milwaukee - and we go through Chicago to visit. So I guess we are "neighors". :)

Loni
http://joyinthemorning.clubmom.com

10:29 PM  
Blogger Claudia said...

How is it that we so often seem to be sharing similar moments when we are not together except in spirit? I have been paying for Rob's cell phone since he died in August, 2005, because the greeting is the only recording we had of his voice. We would all call it from time to time just to hear him tell us to leave a message. At Christmastime, I wrote to Cingular to request that they transfer the greeting to a digital file for me so that I could change the phone service to my local area code -- and cancel his. I did not hear anything for a while, but on Friday I got a message from the office of the president of the company asking me to call.

The request had been passed up the line until it reached one of the assistants in that office. She lost a son in an accident in April of last year and did not have his voice recorded either. So, with her help, I got two versions of Rob's message on Saturday and have sent them to our audio engineer son in Nashville to see if he can clean them up and send them back to all of us.

It is so wonderful to hear his voice again. I can't imagine what it would be like to have heard Rob's thoughts before he met me. But what a treasure your pack rat left you -- and how wonderful that you found it now, when you need it and will treasure it most.

I think of you often, dear friend, and am so glad that you are still writing to the rest of us.

Always,
Claudia

11:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Cathy,
Oh what a GIFT from Lou...his voice. What a great find.
Love, Sharon

9:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a lovely story!

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home