Lessons from Lou

This blog is about my journey through the brain tumor world with my dear husband, Lou. While not a journey I would wish on even my worst enemy, it is a journey that has enlightened and awakened me to what lies within us, and around us, each and every moment of each and every day. There are lessons here....lessons in this journey.....lessons from Lou....that I would like to share with you.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Picture of Lou (sick) and I at a party, circa 2005, long ago and faraway. I'm now a middle aged widow, trying to get my life back together. Mother of two young adult sons, living with two adult cats.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Who Knew ?

Lots of people DIDN'T know. And for some strange reason, they are finding out NOW. Plenty of people did not know about Lou. That he was sick. That he is no longer with us. I know that. I know that some people did not know. I didn't hear from folks I thought I would hear from. No matter. It's not like I was going to pick up the phone and say, "hey guess what?'. The problem is, we live in a large apartment building. Lots of people. Lots of aquaintances. And they don't all know. Lou was not out and about for the last few months. People assume he's still here, that's understandable. It's the questions in the elevator that get to me. We are all so polite and perfunctory. It starts with the usual, "how ARE you?". You try to guage the look in their eyes, the inflection....do they know, or not? You say you are , "oh, ok". Aren't we all, always, " ok"? And then it comes. "How's your husband". Remember, large building, not everyone knows everyone's name. You hesitate. You hope the elevator is going to reach it's destination, the doors will open, and everyone will file out before you need to answer. Instead, you are stuck. You look down at the floor, hem and haw, and back up. By then, they know. They know by the time your eyes reach theirs. There is no need to say it. They know. And then the elevator doors open, a quick hug and some sort of sympathetic thought transpires, and we are off on our separate ways. I'm left blunted by the well meaning question. I wonder how long this goes on. How many times must I go through this. It's like Lou learning over and over every day, that he was sick. Because it didn't stick. Now I know, I guess, in a small way, how he must have felt. Over and over, feeling it anew. Maybe I should start taking the steps.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cathy, I just want to say that I think you are sooo amazing! It's like reading my very own thoughts! And I check for them daily! THANKS!

12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cathy
This is the one thing I avoid if at all possible even a year and a half after my father has been gone. Running into people who for some unknown reason don't know. It still brings this lump in my throat, makes my stomach sick and I just hate it because it usually causes me to tear up. People don't know what to say and what not to say. I know before experiencing all this I often made these mistakes boy am I much more careful these days. We learn, it is sad we have to learn but learn we do. You keep surviving and I will keep praying for you. Please send me the name of the cd you use for sleep . . .I need it BAD!

1:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that is the toughest of all. It's been a year and I can handle it now but I made every effort to not be alone out in public. one of my kids or a friend would always be with me, I couldn't talk.
It all takes time.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Claudia said...

Cathy:
I think we will spend the rest of our lives telling people we meet and those who know us -- but do not know THIS -- that we were married and that our husbands died. Yesterday, in conversation with a substitute teacher in the teacher's workroom, I had to explain to her that my husband died a year ago. It feels as wrong to say it now as ever. I don't think that will ever change. And there is no way to say how much I miss him, or how sorry I am -- and they should be -- that they never knew him, or any of the things about him that really matter.
But I know...you know...we know....

I love you, my friend, always.

10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home