Lessons from Lou

This blog is about my journey through the brain tumor world with my dear husband, Lou. While not a journey I would wish on even my worst enemy, it is a journey that has enlightened and awakened me to what lies within us, and around us, each and every moment of each and every day. There are lessons here....lessons in this journey.....lessons from Lou....that I would like to share with you.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Picture of Lou (sick) and I at a party, circa 2005, long ago and faraway. I'm now a middle aged widow, trying to get my life back together. Mother of two young adult sons, living with two adult cats.

Thursday, November 02, 2006

Facing The Music

I went to the symphony last night. If you are not from Chicago, you might not know that we have a world class symphony, and a gorgeous symphony center. I have always loved it, though have not attended near as much as I would like. It was a lovely evening with a dear friend. We have purchased a package and will attend three more over the course of the next few months. I certainly do not know all that much about classical music , except that I do really enjoy it. While Lou was sick, we listened to alot of classical music. We had our "morning get up and go" music, afternoon "light/joyful" music, and softer/mellow music for evening/sleepytime. It helped us get through the days. It helped us move from one activity to the next. It is always amazing to me how music can create a mood, and how it can "speak" to you. How it can stir your soul. How it can shake you to the core. How it can bring you to tears. How it can bring back memories. Like it did last night. The last time I went to the symphony was with Lou, in January of 2005. It was after he had completed his 6 weeks of daily radiation. It was a weekday matinee. I think it started at 1:30 or so. In those days, we were still having great difficulty getting Lou squared away to get out the door anytime before the afternoon. It could easily take a few hours to get him out of his depression and state of confusion, only to have to start over sometimes. I thought we could make a 1:30 start time. We couldn't. We didn't. I really wanted to go. I thought it would be good for Lou, and I had already purchased the tickets. As 1:30 came and went, I grew a bit frustrated. I was going to give up. Instead, I called the symphony and asked if we could come late. They said we could go in at intermission. That seemed fine with me, Lou would NOT know he had missed the first half as it were. We were finally able to get out the door and down to symphony center. We got in our seats just as intermission ended. The music was magical. Lou soaked it in. It was over much too quickly, unfortunately. We were one of the last to leave, which worked better for us anyway. I will probably never, as long as I live, forget what Lou said as we walked out the doors. He looked at me, as we went through the doors into the cold winter air, and said, "where were we just now?'. We were no more then ten minutes past the end of the performance, if that. We were walking out of this beautiful, grand building. Surely, he must have known where we had just been, how could he NOT ? He didn't. I said, "we are leaving the symphony". He said, " I don't remember that." We walked arm in arm and I told him it didn't matter. I told him it was beautiful, he had enjoyed it, we had been there, together, and that's what mattered. I am quite sure a few tears froze on my cheeks that day. That is when I knew this was serious. That is when I knew we would never, ever get Lou back, no matter how successful a particular treatment might be (which of course, they weren't, nor ever could be). That is when we truly embarked on the creation of the "alter" life for Lou. Manufacturing a life that worked, that made him feel good. Ignoring the obvious. Grasping that which didn't truly exist, except maybe in his mind. Last night, it all came back to me as I sat there at the symphony, with the music swelling around me. What must it have been like to have been Lou all those months? How could this have happened to Lou, of all people ? How could we have heard the music, and NOT have heard it, all at the same time? Just thinking about it pains me so deeply, right this very instant, it pains me. The only way out is knowing we did our best. The only way out is knowing he was happy. He was. Until the very end, he was. The only way out is having no regrets. And I have none. Thank heavens, I have none. The only way out is to face the music. To turn up the volume and let it wash over you. Music is amazing.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cathy, you recently found me, I believe through Kate's Heartfelt Blessings emails. You requested information regarding my Choice retreat.

Just now, I was reviewing all the women who requested The Choice schedule, so that I could make contact with them and gather information regarding their locations, etc. I saw your link to your blog spot and have been reading.

Wow...what we never guess about another person. I'm so sorry for your loss of Lou. I've only read a few postings, but the one titled For Ever left me in tears.

I believe you know that I have a book out there (The Sequoia Seed). I've been considering what my second book might be and I'd love to share stories of women who've faced what appeared to be insurmountable challenges and not only lived through them, but also found strength and peace in doing so.

You writing reminded me of how much I'd like to provide a forum for women to share such stories. You may not know it, but I'm sure you have served many women with your blog - women who aren't sure they can "do it," but find comfort in knowing that someone else has and is making it through.

All my best to you. I do hope we someday have a chance to meet. I have a big hug already waiting!
In Joy, Karen (karen@wrightminded.com)

6:16 PM  
Blogger Mrs. L said...

You'll be great on tour when YOUR book comes out.

7:27 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dearest Country Mouse,
As always, your words speak to my heart. There is nothing to add. You've said it all, with such honesty, showing such grace through this whole process, I continue to be amazed by you. I am a better person because I know you.
Love, Your Country Mouse

2:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cathy,

Through your post I know this journey we are on is not easy. But with love in our heart we march on. James is doing well in our journey, though in my heart I know unfortunately it won’t be that way forever. As much as I want it to. But I know with the love in our hearts for these brave warriors we do march on. For them we must.
Kristine w/o James 32 GBM dx 12-29-2005
www.caringbridge.org/visit/jameshare

10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cathy,
Your blog postings inspire me and give me courage. We've just had a really rough month with Matt -- we all thought the tumors were growing in spite of his new treatements, but an MRI this week showed just the opposite. Now we're working to adjust his meds and (hopefully) improve his cognitive function and his emotional stability.

Through your notes, I am reminded that I have to find a way to accept the *new Matt*. He's never going to be the same person that he once was... and there are days when I just can't bear that thought. We find ourselves dealing with a five-year-old in a 29-year-old's body. I catch myself getting angry at the adult when it's the child that has taken over. And it's unpredictable -- sometimes he's almost *normal*.

Thank you for continuing to share your thoughts and feelings, even when it seems that no one is paying any attention. It is such a comfort to me to know that your postings will be waiting for me when I need a boost. I'd rather visit your site than the support group(all they want to do is argue about the use of supplements.

Thanks for reminding me that this journey will end some day -- and showing me how to complete it without regrets.

God bless,
Lori Ware

8:19 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

Cathy
Facing the Music and you are doing it. You are doing it everyday. You are in inspiration to me and to so many others out here. The Music is there just continue to listen for it. Prayers and Love

8:38 AM  
Blogger Claudia said...

Cathy:

I read these words and think of two things: the song "Let's Face the Music and Dance," from a Fred Astaire movie, I think, and your earlier e-mails last year about you and Lou that always said you were still dancing!!

What a tough yet tender heart you have, my dear, and how grateful I am that you have chosen to share it with us. Love and hugs from the TX branch of Team Meyer ... waiting to see you in Texas or WWW or wherever ... whenever!!

Claudia

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home