Lessons from Lou

This blog is about my journey through the brain tumor world with my dear husband, Lou. While not a journey I would wish on even my worst enemy, it is a journey that has enlightened and awakened me to what lies within us, and around us, each and every moment of each and every day. There are lessons here....lessons in this journey.....lessons from Lou....that I would like to share with you.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Picture of Lou (sick) and I at a party, circa 2005, long ago and faraway. I'm now a middle aged widow, trying to get my life back together. Mother of two young adult sons, living with two adult cats.

Saturday, October 28, 2006

What helps, what doesn't

Comments have dwindled a bit of late. That's understandable. Who the heck really wants to hear all this anyway? I can sort of figure it out: l.) it's more interesting to read about dealing with the process of dying from a brain tumor vs. the AFTER process, 2) it's become too depressing to read this day in and day out (be honest now folks, this is what my son says...3.) you all think it's "over" now and life should return to normal (sooooo NOT the case but I can see why people might think that), 4.) all of the above. So my friends, which is it? Lest you think I am living in a complete fog and depression, I have this to offer. SOME things make me happy. SOME things put me in a good mood. And now I am trying harder to surround myself with those things, because it helps. Life is not all bad. Not at all. Here ya go. Sorry, I sure wish I knew how to space these things so it's more readable, is that what HTML is?? Things that can help when you are grieving: l. Hugging your sons. 2. Hugging your kitties. 3. Hugging your adorable great nieces. 4. Hugging the pillow of your beloved. 5. Quad venti skim lattes with no foam, especially when the ladies at the coffee place charge you for a triple, then I overtip and end up spending even more, oh well. 6. Downloading happy tunes and playing them at maximum volume. I've just discovered itunes, a little behind, i know. Can't wait to see THAT bill. I'm reverting back..it's the Cars, Sting, Tom Petty, Grateful Dead, all that good old stuff. It's not music to nurse a brain tumor by. That's why it's so helpful. 7. Movies. Best night out....movies with girlfriends. Escapism. Even better when cocktails are involved afterwards. 8. Fresh air. Sunshine, when there is some. 9. Immersing myself in a good book. Not good when it keeps you up until 4 am however. 10. Talking on the phone. Especially AFTER I've had the quad venti skim latte. Things that do NOT help when you are grieving: 1. Listening to moody music, no matter how much you might love it. 2. Long walks by yourself. 3. Being the only single person in a large group of couples. 4. The Cardinals winning the World Series. 5. Standing at the kitchen counter and eating. Especially anything salty and crunchy that comes in a plastic bag that won't stay shut so you may as well finish it. 6. Forgetting to pay the bills. 7. People who expect too much too soon from you. Expecting too much too soon from yourself. 8. The W word. Widow. There HAS to be something else, there HAS to be. 9. Wearing black. It doesn't help, except maybe for Halloween, which, ironically, is the two month anniversary..... 10. Spending too much time on the computer. Speaking of which, time to go get some fresh air.

8 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

Cathy
I will be right here with you till the end of time (even if it is through the internet) . . . . .

5:23 PM  
Blogger Mrs. L said...

As you know -- I am inspired by all you write. On a number of levels.

Sorry Detroit lost by the way. At least they got to play. My White Sox totally faded away.

We should have a meeting of the Thursday night girls more often, don't you think? Maybe closer to your place next time.

8:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cathy,
Everything you write is poetry to me. I cling to every word. You have been one of my biggest inspirations.

It is because of people like you who can really put your feelings into words that truly helps people like me.

Dan has never been one to make use of the internet -- and of course now he wouldn't be able to anyway -- reading is hard for him --- but he knows when I speak of "My friend on the 58th floor in Chicago" I am speaking about someone important to me.

I have told many of my very good friends about you and now they religiously read your "Lessons from Lou" just like I do. You seriously touch WAY more people than you realize.

You are such a gifted writer. I believe you should seriously look into making your "Lessons from Lou" into a book. If you are looking for a way to help braintumor research -- that would be an awesome way. You could give a lot of the proceeds to a research group of some kind. (just a thought) Your "Lessons from Lou" is so helpful and wonderful that I hope you would consider pursuing that-- maybe even as a tribute to Lou.

Sincerely, Dan's wife Lisa Kidd

10:15 AM  
Blogger The Kitchen said...

Sweet Cathy-
I'm still here reading you weekly! Everything you write makes me try to be a better person.
Hope to meet you one day!!

2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cathy
I've followed your story. I'm sure like me, there are many friends you've not yet met.
Robins husband

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to smile at the thought of you thinking that no one is reading your 'lessons from lou'...My guess is that you would be overwhelmed at the number of us who religiously read and are deeply touched by the clarity in which you express your emotions and pain, but have never left a comment. I feel blessed to have found your blog...i've cried for you, for your lou, for your sons...your words are all so personal, so poignant..i draw strength from them, learning a little more about what it means to be a wife and mother in sickness and in health. please don't stop..

9:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Each day I come to your "Lessons" to be touched by your journey, to cry for your pain, and to be reminded that life is short. I am so sorry that you have had to suffer and lose the love of your life like you have, but please know that you have encouraged me to cherish the love of my life every day. So glad you were greeted by a whistle today!!

8:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cathy -
I'm here, too, even if I never (well, not never now!) comment. Your lessons have helped sustain me the last few months, both on your blog and in the BT groups.

Please keep it going - you don't know how many people you touch and how grateful they are that you bare your soul to help with their healing.

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home