Lessons from Lou

This blog is about my journey through the brain tumor world with my dear husband, Lou. While not a journey I would wish on even my worst enemy, it is a journey that has enlightened and awakened me to what lies within us, and around us, each and every moment of each and every day. There are lessons here....lessons in this journey.....lessons from Lou....that I would like to share with you.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Picture of Lou (sick) and I at a party, circa 2005, long ago and faraway. I'm now a middle aged widow, trying to get my life back together. Mother of two young adult sons, living with two adult cats.

Friday, October 06, 2006

Don't Go There

WHAT WAS I THINKING???? Last night, we were invited out to dinner by dear friends of our family. This family frequents the same greek restaurant that is our favorite, The Parthenon. The Parthenon is the restaurant Lou's family has frequented for some probably 40 odd years. Lou always said the food there is as close to his mom's cooking as a restaurant can be. Lou loved The Parthenon. He loved the food. He loved the ambience. He always said "everyone here is having a good time". And he was right. He would take large groups of friends, family, clients, associates there, often. He never tired of the place. It was where we had our first date (when he proposed to me). It was where we had first birthday family parties for the kids. It was where we celebrated all sorts of special and/or everyday occasions. It was where Lou collapsed from the aortic aneurism twelve years ago, as we were celebrating the Christmas season with friends. It was Lou's place, and, consequently, our place. So, what WAS I thinking, that I could have dinner there, at the Parthenon, last night? I WASN'T thinking, that's basically it. It had been a crazy day on a number of fronts. Stressful. So, we arrive at the restaurant, on time no less, which my son would say is a major miracle. So far, so good. That lasted about a nano second. My heart started pounding and I could hardly breathe. And then the tears came. Thinking I could brush it off, we sat down. It only got worse. Lou was right, everybody WAS having a good time, all around us, and that only made it worse. I felt dizzy. And so many memories rushed by. I saw the table we sat at on our first date. I saw the paramedics carrying Lou out on the stretcher. I saw birthday celebrations. I saw Lou toasting a long table full of friends. I had to leave. I DID leave. It was a bad night, followed by a morning spent hiding under the covers. And it stayed with me all day today. I thought I was doing fairly "well", whatever that means. I wonder if I'll ever be able to enjoy the Parthenon again. I wonder if I"ll even be able to think about it again without getting that pit in my stomach. Some places make me feel good, make me feel Lou's presence, in a good way. This didn't. It overwhelmed me. It hurt. It's going to take awhile, isn't it. It's going to take quite awhile I think.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

Oh Cathy
I am so sorry you had that experience. Yes there are going to be places that make you feel the warmth of Lou and then there are going to be places and things that are going to crush you. The love and the need you have for Lou will just overwhelm you. Don't punish yourself for it; it is the love that absorbs you that is overwhelming you. Time will make those steps bearable in . I love you and pray for you. Come out from under the covers at your pace.

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

DORIS said...
Cathy it's ok to feel the pain/sorrow it's just tell you that you have heart and compassion for the love that you and Lou shared, but just remember it will happen again but at a different time of place, Cathy the pain will heal on it own, don't run from the memorie of Lou just face the fear that is tugging with you in your heart always be your judgement upon and decision that you may have concerning your outing!! Time will heal on it own one-step one-day at a time. It's ok to brake down and let it nature take it course. I love you and praying for you and the boys. Take your talent and put it in the brain tumour, cause they need you!!!!

12:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sending you a hug... and lots of prayers.

Wishing I had the right words to help...
Lori Ware

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home