Lessons from Lou

This blog is about my journey through the brain tumor world with my dear husband, Lou. While not a journey I would wish on even my worst enemy, it is a journey that has enlightened and awakened me to what lies within us, and around us, each and every moment of each and every day. There are lessons here....lessons in this journey.....lessons from Lou....that I would like to share with you.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Picture of Lou (sick) and I at a party, circa 2005, long ago and faraway. I'm now a middle aged widow, trying to get my life back together. Mother of two young adult sons, living with two adult cats.

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Cat Lady

I'm a cat lady from way back. I love cats. They are quiet, clean, cuddly, fun, independent, good company, and undemanding. Unlike dogs, who are loud, dirty, smelly, very dependent and demanding. I am NOT a dog person. I grew up with my beloved Scampy, a spunky gray and white kitty, all gray with a white mustache and white tuxedo front. Scampy was my buddy, the one I cried to when the chips were down, cuddled with when some boy ignored me, or when a supposed "friend" left me out of the group...you know how girls can be. Scampy died when I was in college, away from home. I didn't get another kitty until I had my own apartment. That was Chatta. Don't ask about the name, it is a derivative of a spanish word for some milk drink I liked when I went to Spain for the first time. Chatta was an all white, long haired kitty I got as a tiny kitten from a friend in college. Chatta had bright green eyes. She came with me to Chicago, drove all the way from Michigan, wrapped around my neck. We were single city girls together! Chatta had alot of health problems, probably due to her long hair and my erratic work/travel/social life. She had two surgeries for kidney stones and various other trips to the vet for whatever. I lost Chatta early, she was maybe five or six years old. It broke my heart. But soon after Chatta died, I met Lou. The rest, as you know by now, is history. The interesting thing is, Lou was terribly allergic to cats. So, no more kitties for me. There were times we contemplated it, thinking we could maybe just have Lou take allergy shots, but that didn't really seem fair. So, we had the usual array of apartment pets for the kids, you know, hamsters, goldfish, lizards, snakes and the like. Nothing remotely like a kitty. Until now. Now we have Misa and Nico. We adopted two kitties from a shelter recently. Damon is his mother's son, he likes cats and has wanted a kitten for quite some time. So, we indulged ourselves with two. They are adorable. Everything kitties should be. Cuddly, playful, sweet, and oh so cute. They sleep with me. Curled up next to me, purring in my ear. In the morning, they play with each other and remind me they are hungry. It is sooo much better then waking up to an empty room. It is sooo much better then sleeping in an empty bed. It is sooooo much better then an empty apartment. They are filling those empty spaces, some of them. Not all of them, of course. But they are life, and joy. Something we desperately need around here. I'm a cat lady again. Cuddling with my kitties. It'll have to do.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Cathy,
First of all...please don't stop your blog....you express so well what the rest of us are feeling. I just read your last two...it is comforting to know that you can now remember the "good days"...it seems that lately all I can think about is "today"...those good times seem so far removed from what we know as "life today"...but I do still try to appreciate what I do have...a wonderful husband, despite all the changes.

On a lighter note....I must say that the only reason you don't care for dogs must be because you have never had our "Max"....a very good-natured, loveable, non-smelly, non-barking, incredibly well-mannered YELLOW LAB. Everyone who knows him says he is the best dog they have ever met. He does have one small drawback...he does shed...but cats do too, right?? :)

I think of you often Cathy....I pray that each day is a bit better for you.

Love, Sharon

7:44 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Cathy . . . .
No surprise we have another thing in common -- cats! I like them much better than dogs too. They are warm and cuddly and as long as they get fed they love you with all their little hearts. They certainly don't take away your pain but they can help in their small way. So enjoy your new babies. . . .

10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cathy,

OK, so I'll admit I don't get the "cat thing," but we have a little dog that keeps Butch and I going. She's a rescue from our local animal shelter - a sweet two year old black cocakpoo that we named Tinkerbell. I know that she was meant to be ours - she is devoted to Butch and needs to be touching him constantly. He is her mission and keeps him company when I am at work. When the dog walker comes to take her out before he gets up, she rushes out and practically runs back to the house to get back on the bed with him. She is what gets me up in the morning and I am sure that she will be what keeps me going when the time comes.

So, even though I don't get the cat deal - and for sure, you don't get my dog deal - we both share that animals soothe the hurting soul. I am so glad that you have them. Kara, wife of Butch, dx GBM inoperable December 2004, mom of Tinkerbelle the Wonder Dog

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home