Lessons from Lou

This blog is about my journey through the brain tumor world with my dear husband, Lou. While not a journey I would wish on even my worst enemy, it is a journey that has enlightened and awakened me to what lies within us, and around us, each and every moment of each and every day. There are lessons here....lessons in this journey.....lessons from Lou....that I would like to share with you.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Picture of Lou (sick) and I at a party, circa 2005, long ago and faraway. I'm now a middle aged widow, trying to get my life back together. Mother of two young adult sons, living with two adult cats.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Mommy Moments

I love this picture. To me, it is such a great snapshot of motherhood. My dear niece and her sweet daughter. A day we went out for a walk, while Lou was sick. I remember the day. It was the beginning of summer. That summer, they came to keep me company often. Anna brought such joy to our household while life was draining out of it. I remember this mommy moment. Both wearing blueberry blue. Both wearing their hair in ponytails. The mother leaning into the child...letting her be on her own, but right there should she fall. So sweet. A perfect mommy moment, in an otherwise very imperfect time. How quickly those mommy moments disappear. It was a strange Mother's Day. Maybe not "strange", but different. It was the first Mother's Day spent without the reasons I am a mother with me! One son off on a trip, the other in school in New York. My first Mother's Day, sans sons. I was not alone, however. I had three wonderful friends visiting (a long time, dear friend and her two sisters, now new dear friends of mine), all mother's as well. One visiting her son who attends college here. We made ourselves a great Mother's Day brunch, then it was on to our own activities, I to the Cubs game (in the rain and cold of course), they to visit the son in college. I realized that it was as it should be I suppose. My sons are off doing what they should be doing, what we want our children to do - to be independent! I guess that's a mommy moment of some sort, if you can look at it that way. I guess you have to look at it that way. Otherwise, you'd be miserable. Happy Mother's Day, all. May you have many, many mommy moments.

2 Comments:

Blogger CAO- Chef Azura othman said...

I just found your blog and I have to say that I will come back often and I admire your strong heart.Stay strong xoxo
Love from malaysia
azura

1:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Cathy,

The memories when they come do flow like hard rain on a hot summer day. Unexpectedly... Unwelcome...crying does help a bit though.

I'm inspired by your devotion, I guess only a great love can make it possible. But as "roads" says, then there is the long tail of bereavement. When it ends, I can not yet tell. And I'm not sure I want it too either. For our lost love ones are too beautiful to ever be forgotten.

Good night.

Bong

2:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home