Lessons from Lou

This blog is about my journey through the brain tumor world with my dear husband, Lou. While not a journey I would wish on even my worst enemy, it is a journey that has enlightened and awakened me to what lies within us, and around us, each and every moment of each and every day. There are lessons here....lessons in this journey.....lessons from Lou....that I would like to share with you.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Picture of Lou (sick) and I at a party, circa 2005, long ago and faraway. I'm now a middle aged widow, trying to get my life back together. Mother of two young adult sons, living with two adult cats.

Saturday, April 19, 2008

A Rose Is A Rose

" Life is thickly sown with thorns, and I know no other remedy than to pass quickly through them. The longer we dwell on our misfortunes, the greater is their power to harm us." --Voltaire Last weekend was an emotional one for me. What would have been my 27th wedding anniversary was Friday, April 11. My niece was married on April 12, and I attended the wedding. She carried gorgeous red roses. I carried one red rose when I was married. Lou send me one red rose every Tuesday from the beginning of our courtship until I had to stop it when he was sick, because it just made me too sad. I think he either bought a rose farm or purchased a lifetime supply. I love roses. Who doesn't? But the quote, above, pictures of these special roses, the would be anniversary, and my niece's wedding have all converged on me at the same time . My anniversary made me sad. Yet, I remind myself how lucky I am that I had twenty five years with Lou. How many others are not so lucky. How many others are deep in the thorns, right now. Unable to pass through them. You have to get through the thorns to smell the rose. I've been through the thorns. It wasn't necessarily "quick", however, but I think I am somewhat through them. And I am enjoying roses, again. Aren't they the most beautiful flower ever?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I came to your blog several years ago, and I grieved with you as you lost Lou even though I didn't know you except through your blog. I was sad when you took your hiatus from writing, and I was ecstatic when your returned. After today I will never look at a red rose the same. What a lovely story! Thank you for sharing...Be blessed as you continue this journey.
Janice

9:44 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

I am sure Lou felt he found the rose when he found you so he just kept reminding him self of that every week. I am so glad you can smell the roses again . . . .we are blessed by you, by your words and emotions.

10:02 AM  
Blogger A Journey Well Taken: Life After Loss said...

Hi Cathy: I stopped by your blog too and began reading the posts. What wonderful memories you have to share. I feel your pain -- it brings tears to the back of my throat, but I understand too the moving forward. We have to, because there's no life for any of us if we cling to the past when we need to move forward. I lost my husband in May of 2004, a few months before you lost Lou. I too have learned so much, grown so much, and I just know that if I had not had this experience in loss, I would not have grown in the way I was meant to.

6:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home