Lessons from Lou

This blog is about my journey through the brain tumor world with my dear husband, Lou. While not a journey I would wish on even my worst enemy, it is a journey that has enlightened and awakened me to what lies within us, and around us, each and every moment of each and every day. There are lessons here....lessons in this journey.....lessons from Lou....that I would like to share with you.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Picture of Lou (sick) and I at a party, circa 2005, long ago and faraway. I'm now a middle aged widow, trying to get my life back together. Mother of two young adult sons, living with two adult cats.

Sunday, March 16, 2008

Pretty Good

Sometimes, I actually feel pretty good about myself. About where I am, now, almost nineteen months later. That we made it through that awful journey, somewhat reasonably intact. OK, not entirely intact, but reasonably. That I learned all about that nasty thing, and marshalled every weapon we could to fight it, as fruitless as it ultimately was. That we made it as good as we could for Lou, as bad as it was for us. Sometimes, I do feel pretty good about myself. That I finally did get out of bed months later, put one foot in front of the other, and went back into the world. That I found my way, with lots and lots of help, but found it nonetheless. That I've traveled, sent a second son off to college, got back to work. That I've learned to enjoy my own company, most of the time. That I can make it through that darn "core fusion" class where I am, without a doubt, at least 25 years older than most everybody else in there. It's not a bad thing to feel good about oneself. When you do, you tend to be happier, in general. You can be better, for others. It is still novel to me, this "feeling pretty good" thing. I still marvel at it, when I catch myself, every now and then saying "wow, I'm kind of doing ok". It can happen. It's pretty good to feel pretty good.

6 Comments:

Blogger Roads said...

Yes, those are no small achievements - it's entirely right to feel proud of coming so far.

And that's wonderful geology behind you in the picture there.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

Way to go girl! You are doing super and you look super too. I hope one day you do make it to Walla Walla.

9:56 PM  
Blogger The Kitchen said...

Way to go, Cathy! You look fabulous!!!

4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cathy, your words continue to inspire me. And if I do say so, I believe I think you might be visiting Sedona in that picture perhaps? I am "down the road" in the Phoenix area. I am just happy to see how well you are doing!
Jen (33 yrs, wife and mommy of 2 boys, and diagnosed with an Oligo II in 2007 (and fighting!))

12:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You look wonderful. And you're right, it's not bad to feel good.
You've helped me more than you could possibly know.
I'm waiting for the sun this morning, knowing today will be better than yesterday. It says so right on my refrigerator "Life is Good". Ain't bad..Thanks again, keep going.

7:47 AM  
Blogger A Journey Well Taken: Life After Loss said...

Those moments will blend one into the other and enrich you further in your life. It sounds like you have a good handle on things, and it makes such a difference when one can face the day with hope in the heart. elaine

6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home