Lessons from Lou

This blog is about my journey through the brain tumor world with my dear husband, Lou. While not a journey I would wish on even my worst enemy, it is a journey that has enlightened and awakened me to what lies within us, and around us, each and every moment of each and every day. There are lessons here....lessons in this journey.....lessons from Lou....that I would like to share with you.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Picture of Lou (sick) and I at a party, circa 2005, long ago and faraway. I'm now a middle aged widow, trying to get my life back together. Mother of two young adult sons, living with two adult cats.

Friday, July 20, 2007

My Sweet Pea

I'm trying not to only write about my sadness. I'm trying not to only write about missing Lou. In fact, I'm thinking about moving on from this blog sometime fairly soon. It seems to repeat itself with some regularity. It gets old, doesn't it? Even my best friends have stopped reading it. Who can blame them. So today....not about Lou. Not about me. It's about my darling Sweet Pea. She's my now 5 year old great niece. She turned five earlier this week. She's a very special child. Not just because she is my great niece. But because she is so joyful, so smart, so cute, so sweet. She just oozes goodness, all that is good. When Lou was sick , she would climb right in bed with him and talk to him, bring him his pills. She was never frightened by any of it. And, they were with us the day he died. I think he was waiting for her to leave, he left us twenty minutes after she went home. She's precious. I'm very close to her. We have a special bond I think. Having not had girls, I was besotted the moment she was born, and have been ever since. I'm so lucky she is in my life. She, and now her little sister. They are the best. But, anyway, the reason I write of her today..."Conversation with Anna"..... Just before her big birthday , I said to her, "I just don't think I can LET you turn five". "But you HAVE to Auntie". "Oh, I just don't think I can. I just want you to stay four," I say. "But Auntie, I HAVE to turn five" she says. "Oh, I just don't know......".....some back and forth ensues, .and then..."Don't worry, Auntie, I'll still be your Sweet Pea when I am five." Now you know why I'm besotted. She's a gift.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Cathy
I have followed Lou's and your journey from the beginning.You have a lovely way of writing I felt as if I knew you both and was extremely sad to hear that Lou passed away.My mum passed away last year and you have helped me understand how my dad must be feeling[he doesn't like talking and keeps alot to himself but everyone can see he really misses her.]I wish he would write things down like you.Lou still seems so alive when you write about him.
I hope I haven't offended you writing like this as I just wanted to know you know that is you decide to carry on writing I for one will still read it.
By the way 'sweet pea'' looks lovely.
Lorraine m/o Alex GBM

4:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cathy.. I dont think your writing has gotten old at all.. its refreshing and even though its sad, its enlightening.. you are grieving like you should.. Lou hasnt been gone for 1yr.. not even 11mths so you are grieving 'normally' as if thats even normal.. But if in your heart you feel its time to move on, then you know what's best.. better than any of us..

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cathy,
You are a wonderful woman. I've been reading for a while and it helps me alot.
It's almost two years now and your writings bring many of my own memories back, some good some bad.
Thanks

5:55 PM  
Blogger Trueda said...

Cathy,

I can see why you call her "Sweet Pea". What a doll; and obviously a good tonic for the soul. Thanks for sharing her with us.

As for the blog; you should do what's right for you. You'll know when it's time for a change. Trust your heart - it's gotten you this far!

Trueda
mom of Josh, 26, AA3

6:42 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

I would also be proud to be called Auntie to this "Sweet Pea." She is a doll baby.
Cathy there is a big fan club that would miss you if you quit your blog but you need to do what is best for you.

12:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do still check in on your blog once in a while. And, I too, love your writing. It is easy to read and expresses so directly how you feel and what you think. And it is often stuff that you would not want to say out loud. It does you good, my friend.
Yes, thank goodness for Anna and Audrey. Lou brought them to you, you know!
RCB

2:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Cathy,
I love to read your blog because it is so real and I can relate to your feelings. When I first came onto the support group, you were one of the first posts to catch my eye. Then I found the blog and I was hooked. You have a beautiful way of expressing your feelings. You have helped many people I am sure. And I know its helped you to write. I guess if you decide to stop the blog than its something that you think you should do. Maybe your heart is healing and its time to move on.Thats just part of this journey. and if you are ready to go, than I am happy for you. You helped me so much. Thank-you. Lov to you, Colleen w/o Tim anaplastic oligo gr 3. brann826@comcast.net

4:26 PM  
Blogger The Kitchen said...

Dearest Cathy- You must never end your blog - I love it too much!! And I love that Sweet Pea face - thank goodness for silver linings!!

t

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home