Lessons from Lou

This blog is about my journey through the brain tumor world with my dear husband, Lou. While not a journey I would wish on even my worst enemy, it is a journey that has enlightened and awakened me to what lies within us, and around us, each and every moment of each and every day. There are lessons here....lessons in this journey.....lessons from Lou....that I would like to share with you.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Picture of Lou (sick) and I at a party, circa 2005, long ago and faraway. I'm now a middle aged widow, trying to get my life back together. Mother of two young adult sons, living with two adult cats.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Happy Birthday, Darling

Dearest Lou, Yesterday was your birthday, the first one since you left us. I was not looking forward to the day, quite honestly. We always celebrate birthdays, you made sure of that! As the day grew closer, my mood became edgier, more anxious. I wasn't sure how I would handle it. Would it affect me the way Father's Day did? I wasn't sure I was ready for that, again. That was just a week ago. I wanted to acknowledge the day, however, not ignore it. I wanted to celebrate YOU, my love, and everything you were. We went to dinner on Sunday night, the boys and I, and Robyn and David. Damon left for New York yesterday, so we acknowledged your day, as a family, on Sunday. We toasted you. We thanked you for all you were for us. We thanked God for giving you to us. We hoped you were celebrating, too, with your mom, dad, and Kathie. Were you ? Maybe you even had a good cigar. I hope so. I hope you golfed too. You weren't able to do that the last few years of your life here. It was a lovely evening with the people who mean the most to me. You would have enjoyed it. On your birthday, yesterday, I created a new holiday in your honor at the office called "Founder's Day". The entire staff went to lunch at the Parthenon in your honor. We toasted you again. After all, if it weren't for you, this group wouldn't be employed together! I made a trivia game up about you, and awarded prizes. It was tricky. You would have liked it. There are so many new people who didn't get to know you, and I so desperately wish they had known you. The lunch got me through the day. Worked a bit late. The walk home was warm and sticky. With each block I could feel the sadness creeping in. Coming home to an empty apartment is no fun. I had made it through the day, only to arrive home feeling lonely and sad. I told someone yesterday that I CAN do this. I can live alone, I can socialize, I can fill my time, I can do this. I JUST DON'T WANT TO. I don't want to come home to an empty apartment. I don't want to have your half of the bed empty. I don't want to start over. I liked it the way it was. I don't WANT to do this. But I CAN, and I am, I guess. Drew arrived for a visit late in the evening. He had driven down to the cemetery. He said something that hit me a bit hard. He can more or less accept that you are gone, but the WAY it happened, what you went through, is sometimes the hardest part to think about. It's so true. And that is how the day ended, your birthday. It ended with me, alone. I felt good about the way we acknowledged it. But in the end, when it is all said and done, it was sad. And empty. I miss you, my love.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Cathy,
I am thinking about you today. I know how hard it is for you to get through all these special days. Your writing is so powerful. It makes me cry everytime. You are amazing and i admire your courage.Your husband would want you to be happy.I know its an awful disease. I wish my Tim did not have this either. We were so happy. Why did it all have to change? I try to see the goodness in every day too, just like you. some days.... not so good. Some days i am just so sad. But i dont show it in front of Tim. I read more of your older writings in your blog this morning. I cried. Alone. But thats okay. I needed a good cry. Your writing does it to me every time. Stay strong. from Colleen w/o Tim, anaplastic olig, grade 3. stable for 12 months.

8:47 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Happy Birthday Sweet Lou!!!

Cathy there are no words just tears, love and prayers for your and the boys.

9:29 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Crying, crying, crying.
Oh, your words speak to my heart, as always.
Holding you close, city mouse, across the very lonely miles.
Love you, love you.
Chelle
www.daveshell.blogspot.com

8:44 PM  
Blogger Collette Matrochano said...

Dear Cathy,
I have been reading "Lessons from Lou" for a long time now being a part of the brain tumor list. This post is hitting home right now. Your extraordinary writing is what draws us all to it and it's an honor and I thank you for allowing us to share your thoughts. My daughter Janet's 1st birthday in heaven is fast approaching on August 9th, and I'm feeling the anxiety and sadness creeping in. I'm getting calls asking me "So what are you doing for Janet's birthday"? I know I'll figure everything out, it's another first, as you know. You may not think so, but you are and have been an inspiration for me. I have kept Lou and you and your boys in my prayers and always will.
With love and continued hope and prayers for a cure,
Collette Matrochano
m/o Janet (28) dx GBM 3/06
earned her angel wings 11/27/06

8:36 AM  
Blogger Susanne said...

I'm praying for you, Cathy. Your writing is so powerful. I'm praying that you'll always remember your dear Lou but that you'll find more and more peace as the hours go by.
Psalm 34:18 (NIV):
18 The LORD is close to the brokenhearted
and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home