Lessons from Lou

This blog is about my journey through the brain tumor world with my dear husband, Lou. While not a journey I would wish on even my worst enemy, it is a journey that has enlightened and awakened me to what lies within us, and around us, each and every moment of each and every day. There are lessons here....lessons in this journey.....lessons from Lou....that I would like to share with you.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Picture of Lou (sick) and I at a party, circa 2005, long ago and faraway. I'm now a middle aged widow, trying to get my life back together. Mother of two young adult sons, living with two adult cats.

Monday, June 11, 2007

Milestones

Milestones are difficult, of course. We chose to ignore Christmas, and, as long as we stuck with it, it wasn't so bad. We had to leave the country however. Other milestones have come and gone, my birthday, a non event as we were far away. Oldest son's birthday, but he opted to be away that weekend (notice a pattern here?). Mother's Day, not too bad, after all, it was all about me and my sons, how bad can that be? But the graduations....that's a bit different. Can't go away for those. We had two graduations last week, one from high school, the other from graduate school. Alot of emotion there. How proud I was, and am. Bursting with pride. How difficult it was for my boys to carry on, through the 22 months of Lou's illness, and through the devastation afterwards. They kept going. They did more then that. They overcame it, they did not let this define them. They succeeded in spite of it. No, really, they excelled. They worked hard. They achieved their goals. I am so proud of them. And I wish Lou were here. Oh I know, he IS here, he DOES know. But I wish he was with us. I wish he saw Damon cross the stage and shake the principal's hand. I wish he had heard the bagpipes at Drew's graduation. But, inspite of wishing he were with us, I am grateful. I am grateful we had Lou for 25 years. That he was with these guys to manhood. So much of what they are is Lou. He made them what they are. I see it all over them. That is how Lou is with us. He shines through in our sons. His legacy. Milestones are hard. But if I focus on the good in them, it helps. There is still alot of good to focus on. draft

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remind me not to wear that red shirt again.

11:47 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

That was very well put! I do admire your strength.

8:40 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Congrats to the two graduates! How proud you must be. This entry brought me to tears.

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home