Lessons from Lou

This blog is about my journey through the brain tumor world with my dear husband, Lou. While not a journey I would wish on even my worst enemy, it is a journey that has enlightened and awakened me to what lies within us, and around us, each and every moment of each and every day. There are lessons here....lessons in this journey.....lessons from Lou....that I would like to share with you.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Picture of Lou (sick) and I at a party, circa 2005, long ago and faraway. I'm now a middle aged widow, trying to get my life back together. Mother of two young adult sons, living with two adult cats.

Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Tulip Time

It's tulip time in Chicago! This means thousands, maybe even hundreds of thousands of tulips grace our city walks, parks and the planters in the middle of the streets, like up and down Michigan Avenue in particular. It's spectacular! They just magically seem to "appear" in late April. I suppose some sort of tulip elf plants them in the dark of night. Actually, I saw a city worker planting some one morning last week. I thanked him for the great job he was doing. I hope he didn't think I was being sarcastic because I was NOT. Thank heavens for those city workers who take care of our parks and greenery. Back to the tulips. They really hit me as I left the office late last week. I don't think I had truly noticed, or appreciated them before then. As I walked home, down the avenue, they blanketed the walks and streets. Gorgeous colors. Everywhere. They are so cheerful looking. Happy. Of course, I felt sad. Lou just loved everything about Michigan Avenue, as we would walk arm and arm. I felt overwhelmingly sad. And alone. But that was last week. Today, I felt different. Saw the Cubs play and win this weekend. I hit balls at the driving range yesterday. I'm getting thru the foot high stack of paperwork that never seems to end. I can either look at the tulips and be sad that Lou isn't here, or I can look at them and be happy for their beauty. Today, I tried the latter. It worked. For today anyway.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

Hoping the tulips will continue to bring you happiness especially through the tough days.

10:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here is a beautiful quote for you, Cathy................

"What a desolate place would be a world without a flower! It would be a face without a smile, a feast without a welcome. Are not flowers the stars of the earth, and are not our stars the flowers of heaven?"
- Mrs. Clara Lucas Balfour

Enjoy the tulips! Love, Lisa Kidd

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home