Lessons from Lou

This blog is about my journey through the brain tumor world with my dear husband, Lou. While not a journey I would wish on even my worst enemy, it is a journey that has enlightened and awakened me to what lies within us, and around us, each and every moment of each and every day. There are lessons here....lessons in this journey.....lessons from Lou....that I would like to share with you.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Picture of Lou (sick) and I at a party, circa 2005, long ago and faraway. I'm now a middle aged widow, trying to get my life back together. Mother of two young adult sons, living with two adult cats.

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Well, That Explains It

Excerpts from an article of interest in the Chicago Tribune, as if this is front page news, but it was: Scientists measure 5 stages of grief Most people's anguish eases after six months; others might need treatment, study finds By Ronald Kotulak Tribune science reporter Published February 21, 2007 When a loved one dies, people go through five stages of grieving, according to accepted wisdom: disbelief, yearning, anger, depression and acceptance. Now the first large-scale study to examine the five stages suggests that they are accurate, and that if a person has not moved through the negative stages in six months, he or she may need professional help dealing with the bereavement The study, published in Wednesday's issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association, also found that, contrary to common belief, yearning or missing a loved one is a far more dominant emotion than depression--meaning mental health experts who treat the grief-stricken may need to refocus attention on feelings of loss. "It's important both for clinicians and the average layperson to understand that yearning and not sadness is what bereavement is really all about," said study author Holly Prigerson, associate professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School and director of the Dana-Farber Cancer Institute's Center for Psycho-Oncology and Palliative Care Research. "It's about yearning, pining, longing and being angry and protesting that you can't have this person back," Prigerson said. Not everyone follows the exact same pattern of grieving, she said, but most do. SO glad to hear I am normal.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cathy, there have been dozens of people trying to tell you for months that you are completely normal. Are you trying to tell us that now that you read it in the paper, you are willing to believe that you are normal when you haven't believed US all this time??!! I think we are all much more credible than the Chicago Tribune, but if that's what it takes for you to believe it, I guess I'll just have to accept it. Yes, you ARE normal, my dear. Take care.
Marilyn ;)
P.S. Forgot to sign my name to my last post...I'm the one who said she thinks Lou wants you to get a convertible sports car.

11:59 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

poCathy
I don't believe there is a Normal. . . everyone does this grief thing in their own time, in their own way and at their own pace. One second at a time my friend just one second at a time.

6:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home