Lessons from Lou

This blog is about my journey through the brain tumor world with my dear husband, Lou. While not a journey I would wish on even my worst enemy, it is a journey that has enlightened and awakened me to what lies within us, and around us, each and every moment of each and every day. There are lessons here....lessons in this journey.....lessons from Lou....that I would like to share with you.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Picture of Lou (sick) and I at a party, circa 2005, long ago and faraway. I'm now a middle aged widow, trying to get my life back together. Mother of two young adult sons, living with two adult cats.

Sunday, February 18, 2007

All's Fair In Love And War ?

As I was saying, it's been a busy weekend. I saw THREE movies! Movies are good. They require very little from you. I like that. And, it's dark. You can go without makeup and your hair in a mess. And, you can have popcorn for dinner. Perfect. Tonight I saw "Letters From Iwo Jima", with Damon. It's intense. It's beautiful. It's excellent. It's Lou. It's a Lou film. Pretty much the first words out of our mouths...."Dad would have loved this film". Yep, he would have. Lou loved all things historical, all things having to do with WWII in particular, all things having to do with fighting the good fight, all things patriotic, brave, and true. The movie is from the Japanese perspective, which makes it quite different then anything I've seen before. Still a Lou film. He would have liked the honor and the courage of these Japanese soldiers. He would have had tears in his eyes as he often did when watching that type of film. He shared those feelings with his sons. I'm so glad he did. Those "boys" had many years of watching great war films with their Dad. Zulu, his favorite. Band of Brothers. Gettysburg. Patton. Battle of Britain. Something about the Greeks and the Turks. All sorts of old ones I don't know the names of. I wouldn't have done those things with my boys. I couldn't have done those things. So, tonight, I am grateful that they had their Dad long enough to watch many movies with him. To hear his thoughts. To visit Arlington with him. To talk to a Korean Vet at the memorial in DC, with him. To learn about valor, from him. To learn about what is really right, from him. That's important. Did we wish Lou were sitting right with us tonight? You betcha. We'll always feel that way watching movies like this. But, Damon appreciated this movie because of Lou. Because of all that Lou taught him. It's embedded in him, in both of our sons. I'm so grateful for that. For the imprint Lou made on these guys. And is still making on them.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

Busy is good . . . .
I am so glad you and Damon went to that movie and you both were thinking the same thing. It is funny how that happens. Every day something happens that reminds me of something my dad said, taught me, would have liked, made him laugh and I am greatful for each of those times. My Dad, Lou, left me and my girls and my mom and my brother with lots of those type of memories. I am glad your Lou left you and the boys the same. That is what we call LOVE my friend.

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home