Lessons from Lou

This blog is about my journey through the brain tumor world with my dear husband, Lou. While not a journey I would wish on even my worst enemy, it is a journey that has enlightened and awakened me to what lies within us, and around us, each and every moment of each and every day. There are lessons here....lessons in this journey.....lessons from Lou....that I would like to share with you.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Picture of Lou (sick) and I at a party, circa 2005, long ago and faraway. I'm now a middle aged widow, trying to get my life back together. Mother of two young adult sons, living with two adult cats.

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Suddenly, September

College football is back. This is how we spent Saturdays...watching, cheering, college football. Lou always loved it. Especially the last two years. Suddenly, it's September. How did we get here? Yesterday, I went outside for a breath of fresh air, for the first time in days. It was a clear, beautiful day. But the breeze had the crispness of fall, the fresh smell of fall, carrying the stickiness of summer away. Summer is gone. Not that it matters. There was no summer. No golf, no beach, no Cubs games. Who cares, really. There will be other summers. Someday, there will be summer again. Now, suddenly, it's September. September used to mean fresh starts to me...new school year and all, new clothes, new teachers. Loved the fall...the colors of leaves changing, apples, bonfires, football games, cool evenings, sweaters, plaids. And then I met Lou. It was September when we bumped into each other on Michigan Avenue, and something "happened". Something very magical happened. That piercing look he had. I walked away knowing something special had happened, but I wasn't sure what. That feeling grew into that "catch your breath" pit in the stomach. And then we bumped into each other again. It was weird. Eerie. And then he asked me out. The rest is history. He proposed on our first date. I told him to take me home. I ignored him for a few weeks. Ignored the single roses he sent with notes. Ignored the copy of The Little Prince he sent. And then I couldn't ignore it anymore. I accepted another date. And then he proposed again. I decided to "get to know him better". That resulted in a real proposal on Christmas morning, complete with a beautiful ring. It all started in the fall. The last two falls have been awful. All I can remember are foggy, gray, rainy, chilly days. And tears. Lots of those. From all of us. And Lou, trying to find a way through this. The last few days of Lou's life were gray, foggy, rainy, again. It seemed fitting. But the day he left us was sunny. And it's been sunny each day since. I think it is a sign. To me, it is a sign. He's ok. He's up there with his mom, his dad, Kathie, my dad, and Charlie.....and he's ok. He's sending us beautiful fall days, much like the days of our first fall...the fall when I fell....when I fell, hard. The way fall used to be, before all this. I breathe in the fresh, crisp air, and smell him. I let the sun warm me, and I feel him. I look at the sky, and I know his eyes are upon us. The church bells chime, and I hear him. He is everywhere. It's September, it's fall again, and it will be ok. Somehow, it will be ok. Thank you my love.

5 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

Oh Cathy, it is good to hear from you again. Yes Fall is here again isn't it. I am so glad that Lou is showing those signs that warm your heart; that bring good memories. I am sure Lou is having a great reunion with all his family and friends that went before him. I wish for you days filled with signs of Lou and good memories. There will be bad days but your angel "Lou" will guide you through and always remember there are people that will help you through as well. We continue to love you and pray for you and will be here for you. Keep feeling the love of Fall in the air.

10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cathy so glad to hear your having sunny fall days. Yes fall is here and where did summer go. I am glad to hear you say things will be ok, your getting signs from Lou he will help you be ok. I am sure you will have days you wonder "if" it will ever be ok. Look up in the sky and you will know Lou is feeling well he is no longer sick he is awake and visiting and enjoying family and friend. Telling them how wonderful you are what a great wife you are and how you were there with him every minute of his last couple of years.
I will be thinking of you this next week, nothing new from the last year or so that I have come to know you here.
Will keep you and the boys in my prayers. Wishing for you a comfortable week. Seeing lots friends from the past.
God Bless You Cathy.
Prayers from Walla Walla.

12:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cathy, thank you so much for the nice message on Michell's site. It is amazing even to me how such a small town can have so much support and so much love for what started out (started out) a stranger and now such a dear connection. I hope your right that someday we will meet. I think I can speak for all of us here we would love to have you visit.
God Bless you and will be thinking of you this week.

9:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Leave it to you, Cathy, to find the warmth of the sunshine and the fresh promise in the fall air so quickly after the worst day of your life... you are an amazing person! Thank you for sharing your endless positive spirit with the rest of us.

Praying for you,
Lori Ware

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been out of town and just found out about Lou's passing. I am so very sorry, Cathy, for you and the boys. You have taken care of Lou so well and for so long...don't forget to take care of yourself now. Lou will be with you...he will continue to send signs and help you understand and accept his physical absence, just as you helped him understand and accept what was happening to him during his illness.
God bless you all.
Marilyn

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home