Lessons from Lou

This blog is about my journey through the brain tumor world with my dear husband, Lou. While not a journey I would wish on even my worst enemy, it is a journey that has enlightened and awakened me to what lies within us, and around us, each and every moment of each and every day. There are lessons here....lessons in this journey.....lessons from Lou....that I would like to share with you.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Picture of Lou (sick) and I at a party, circa 2005, long ago and faraway. I'm now a middle aged widow, trying to get my life back together. Mother of two young adult sons, living with two adult cats.

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Christmas in July

One year, long ago, Lou left his Christmas tree up until July. I am not sure if he did it because he was lazy, busy, or just wanted to. He is such a Christmas nut. That summer, his two nieces came to visit from wherever they were living at the time, maybe Tennesee? They were young, maybe 5 and 9, or younger? And their mommy, Lou's sister, was sick. I don't know if she was sick at the time, I think she probably was. This was all before I entered the picture ("BC", before Cathy). Anyway, as I understand it, when Uncle Lou picked his nieces up at the airport, he told them that Christmas is celebrated in July in Chicago. "Oh sure Uncle Lou", I can imagine them saying. And I can just see the twinkle in Lou's eyes. He loves to tease, too, so you just never know. But this wasn't a joke. He sure surprised them when they walked through his apartment door, and there was the tree, all lit up, with presents underneath! Can you imagine how fun that must have been, for ALL of them?? I think Lou said the girls slept under the tree that night. What a memory! Visiting Uncle Lou in his nifty downtown Chicago apartment, and celebrating Christmas in July. I love that story. It's vintage Lou. I made a big mistake tonight. I watched the movie The Family Stone. Damon told me it was sad. I should have listened to him. It takes place during the Christmas season. All about family. And yes, somebody dies. It made me ache. Maybe we should have Christmas in July this year....the last two Christmas' we've had have been sad for us. Just not the same. Christmas in July would probably be no different. I think it is going to be a long time before we have a happy Christmas again.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

Cathy
Someone suggested the Family Stone for a movie for us and we were all in tears beforfe it was over . . . to close to the heart at this point.
Those special days are not the same. My September Birthday sucked last year and I am sure it will be the same this year. My dad always called and left a message on my work phone before I got there and then would leave the story of my birth on my email and then call me before I went to bed. My birthday will never be the same.
So your right happy holidays; I don't know

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cathy. I know the holidays are going to be hard, even though Jeannie was able to live through and enjoy the end of last year. (It wasn't so clear at Thanksgiving). A close friend lost her husband four years ago, and said Christmas sucked last year, but hadn't been as bad the year before. Everything is forever changed, and where we go is up to us. To find out where I am right now, check out Jeannie's website. I'm doing better. I sent the entry to Michelle as an email, and decided to share it more broadly.

Jim.

2:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cathy ... want to know a secret? I'm calling Santa and God and asking them if we can just skip right through the Christmas season this year ... should I add your name to the list of people who really don't want that time of year to come?

Since we both know we can't avoid it, I am going to take the advice of some wise person (I can't tell you who) and build new traditions for Olivia and I. This year will be tough, but by the time two or three years go by I'm hoping and praying that our new traditions are just as comfortable as the old ones ... Since we live in California, I'm going to find snow for the holdiays ... maybe New York ... or someplace equally as exciting ... someplace .... anyplace .... anyplace but here ... not this year anyway.

9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home