Lessons from Lou

This blog is about my journey through the brain tumor world with my dear husband, Lou. While not a journey I would wish on even my worst enemy, it is a journey that has enlightened and awakened me to what lies within us, and around us, each and every moment of each and every day. There are lessons here....lessons in this journey.....lessons from Lou....that I would like to share with you.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Picture of Lou (sick) and I at a party, circa 2005, long ago and faraway. I'm now a middle aged widow, trying to get my life back together. Mother of two young adult sons, living with two adult cats.

Sunday, July 09, 2006

We "DO" for "LOU"

I had a different thought about all this today. Not sure I've had this thought before, and I THOUGHT that I've THOUGHT about every possible angle there is. Lou has spent pretty much his entire life doing for others. He worked incredibly hard for his family, incredibly. He took great care of his dear mom. He spoiled his nieces and nephews (let alone his own kids). He treats clients like family. He is so generous to his employees. He is so generous to his friends. When he sits on a board, he does NOT sit, he works and is involved. He plans meetings, trips, dinners, whatever in complete detail and makes sure it's done. He would give the shirt off his back to a street person. He donates time to organizations he believes in. He will fight to the end for what is right. He worked around the clock to get thru school. He goes nuts over Christmas. He remembers the "little people". I could go on. The point is, we could never really "DO" for Lou. For one thing, he is usually a step ahead of everyone and already has it done, whatever it is. And really, he wouldn't accept it much. Whenever he was sick with the flu, he would refuse to let me do anything for him. He wouldn't even let me do his LAUNDRY when we were first married for gosh sakes! So now I am thinking...we are finally getting our chance to 'DO" for Lou. ALLLLLL of us. He still doesn't like it. He does not like that he needs help with simple everyday things. But he cannot refuse it now. He HAS to accept it. So, I guess we are making up for 25 years of Lou doing for us, for me. I don't think I could ever make up for it. I could never do enough for him. Why does it take something this terrible to bring us to this point? Why can't we take care of each other all the time, not just when we need the care? Another unanswered question. Another lesson from Lou.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautifully said. You both are very lucky to have each other.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

Dear Friend
Isn't it funny how our roles change in life. What a gift Lou gave to you by needing you in this way. It sounds as if Lou gave his soul to so many and now so many can give back. Lou is truly special as is his "sweetheart."

9:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's as though all the love that Lou showered people with, is now showering him. Lou's "lesson" reminds me of my father's experience with his illness (gbm iv). Much like Lou, he was a "giver." In many ways, we felt it was an honor and a blessing to be able to give back to him. Some families don't get this chance.

--Emily

1:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cathy ... as you know, your words ALWAYS touch me, and today's is absolutely no different.

I've often said that Fred allowing me to care for him was the single, most loving thing he did for me in the many years we spent together. Aside from giving me Olivia ... I can't thing of one other "gift" he gave me that has more value to me than that. He, too, took care of all of us ... taking care of him was such a pleasure ... I'm just sad it ended too soon.

We love you and are thinking of you and our dear Lou ...

10:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You really are very wonderful, God bless!.

6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home