Lessons from Lou

This blog is about my journey through the brain tumor world with my dear husband, Lou. While not a journey I would wish on even my worst enemy, it is a journey that has enlightened and awakened me to what lies within us, and around us, each and every moment of each and every day. There are lessons here....lessons in this journey.....lessons from Lou....that I would like to share with you.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Picture of Lou (sick) and I at a party, circa 2005, long ago and faraway. I'm now a middle aged widow, trying to get my life back together. Mother of two young adult sons, living with two adult cats.

Saturday, July 08, 2006

Dinner For Two

I knew it would be hard without Damon here...but I didn't know HOW hard. Damon left on Monday, he will be gone for the entire month of July, studying at University of Southern California. Lou and I are officially "empty nesters", for a month anyway. Tonight I thought it would be nice to have a decent dinner, at the table, vs. in the family room in front of the tv, which happens sometimes. I try to have us all have dinner together as often as possible. It's been a bit difficult lately because it's summer and Damon is often out and about, and, Lou's dining skills are a bit rocky now, so sometimes it is just easier to skip formality and eat in front of the tv , something I SWORE we would NEVER do in this household!!! So tonight, I decided to make a decent dinner (that's an oxymoron in this house you know) for Lou and I. I put some nice music on, set the table, etc. Lou seemed pleased with it all. But all too soon, the shroud of sadness came over him. It is impossible to just "chat" anymore it seems, particularly when it is just the two of us. Lou always goes for the tough ones around me, "why is this happening?", "it's getting worse, isn't it", "what do the doctors say?" (I really hate that one), "In the next eight weeks, what's the best thing that could happen to this family ?" (yes, he did ask this tonight), "have you talked to my mom lately ", "how is my mom", "how is your dad" (mind you, both are no longer with us...), etc. The light mood quickly dissipates and I'm left trying desperately to change subjects and/or end the dinner. In the "old days", such questions were somewhat routine. When I first met Lou he asked me "if you were in a crashing plane, what would be your last thoughts" (yes, I married him anyway)...so I'm used to it, but now, now the questions are so poignant, they literally take my breath away sometimes. And his eyes are so very sad when he asks them. I guess we can't really talk about everyday happenings since he is not aware of them, so this line of discussion must work for him, on some level. But it sure makes for heavy dinner conversation. By the time it is over, I'm worn out and so very sad. So much for a nice dinner for two. We are both in tears. We go back to the tv. It stops the questions...for awhile. It's going to be a long month. Dinner, anyone?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy Cathy doesn't reality have a way of slapping us in the face when we don't want it. As Michelle, Sue and I have said recently we wish we were there to stop in for a cup of coffee or we could have a dinner with you. A change is aways good. After a meal or two of the three of us there to enjoy chatting with you might enjoy a dinner alone but we would sure like to try. It will be a long month for you. But you know we are here. Keep sharing your thoughts with us. It is late for you tonight. Try to get some sleep. God Bless You

2:11 AM  
Blogger Claudia said...

Would you like company for dinner soon? I will be in Chicago for two weeks starting July 16th, at NU, right around the corner from the 58th floor. I will call you as soon as I know my work schedule and come to see you. I am no Damon, but I will be really happy to visit with you face to face, and coffee cup to coffee cup ...

Coming your way with love and hugs!!

5:06 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Claudia that is so nice you can visit Cathy. Please give her big hugs from all of us in Walla Walla. Have a safe trip and enjoy Chicago. Cathy so glad you will have someone there soon.

2:10 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Cathy
My heart is sad reading your blog today . . . .I am glad Claudia will be there to eat dinner with you soon. . . . .wish we could all be there to eat dinner with you. However, remember to cherish each dinner you have to share with Lou . . .even if the conversation is hard conversation. Lou loves you so very much and I love you and so many more love you and pray for you daily. Stay strong my friend I know some days it must be hard.

5:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting timing that I chose this moment to check in with your Lessons from Lou. Dan and I are going out to lunch and I was already dreading it. Then I feel guilty for dreading it. It is a vicious cycle. The feelings of dread then the feelings of guilt that quickly follow. But it is truly lonely when you are sitting with the person you love so much -- the one that you used to have deep, meaningful conversations with and now you feel like the entire conversation is one huge circle...keeps going around...around...around...

It usually goes on and on until I have to excuse myself to go into the restroom and get my bearings again so I don't take my frustration out on him. Dan never asked for this brain tumor that is infringing on his ability to have a conversation!

So we do the only thing we know to do. Jump back into the "circle" and keep this "new style of conversation" going. Why? Because one reason. Love.

I just wanted to let you know that I really "get" what you are saying, Cathy. I really do.

1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home