Lessons from Lou

This blog is about my journey through the brain tumor world with my dear husband, Lou. While not a journey I would wish on even my worst enemy, it is a journey that has enlightened and awakened me to what lies within us, and around us, each and every moment of each and every day. There are lessons here....lessons in this journey.....lessons from Lou....that I would like to share with you.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Picture of Lou (sick) and I at a party, circa 2005, long ago and faraway. I'm now a middle aged widow, trying to get my life back together. Mother of two young adult sons, living with two adult cats.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Got Gelato?

Those of you who were with us on this journey last summer will remember hearing about magical summer evenings on our "front porch", enjoying a gelato. Those of you who were not with us..we don't have a front porch. We live in a tall building with a plaza below street level that serves as our "front porch". There is a great italian deli located there, and they serve gelato....it is heavenly stuff! Last summer, Lou and I spent many evenings on our front porch. He loved it. But each time we were there, he would say "this is so nice. Why don't we do this more often?". Each time we went, and we went often (I have the extra ten lbs to prove it), was the "first" time for Lou. It's hard to believe, but it's true. Last summer, Lou could walk down the steps to get there. This summer, we have the wheelchair. The only problem with the wheelchair is that it is not easy to get to that particular location with a wheelchair, and, it is not easy to maneuver...Lou is not a small man. At any rate, after dinner, I decided we must have gelato, it was a perfect summer evening. Lou actually agreed. He has not been out in quite some time, but I knew the idea of gelato would work! After much huffing and puffing, I got him there. It was not quite as magical as last year. Lou does not talk as well, or as much. He has a hard time managing spoons, cones, and things that melt. He slumps in the wheelchair and looks sadly. Sigh. But then, the glimmers come...."what do you think we should do with the rest of our lives?", he says. Hmmmm....that's a loaded question, isn't it? He tells me he really feels lucky...amazing, isn't it? And, "when do you think I should retire", he says....remember, he has not been in the office since late last year...he says he "thinks" he could travel with me. This, after I barely got him down to the plaza of our building. But the best remark he made was that he wants to do something to help others he said. "What do you think it would be", I asked. He doesnt know. He wants it to be "significant." I could not get him to verbalize what is in his mind....but something is there. Guess we'll have to have more gelato to find out what it is....another ten pounds this summer? Well, I guess that would be a good thing, wouldn't it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Significant...
the gifts Lou gives to all of us,
so very significant,
melting gelato and all,
a man to be admired.
Wanting to help others,
feeling lucky,
looking to contribute something meaningful.
Today, I'm going to look at my own life,
through Lou's lens...
and choose to remember what is good,
what is right.
Thank you again, dear sweet Lou.
May you have many of those glimmers of pure happiness,
on your front porch,
with your beautiful wife.

Love, ChelleBelle

7:58 AM  
Blogger Sue said...

I agree with Michelle; Lou through you Cathy is already making a significant impact in other people's lives. He is a hero to so many that you don't even know. After reading your entry today I ran out to the yard and picked some flowers and left them for our mutual friend Michelle to brighten her day. So thank you Lou and Cathy for encouraging me to do something today for someone else.
We love you both. Keep making a difference.

11:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cathy,

I read your posts on "The Big List" and also check Lessons from Lou faithfully. Each time, I think "I should write and tell Cathy what an incredible person she is. How graceful, how kind, how loving, how strong." And I never have before - I'm sorry. I think that each time.

But today, reading this post...I'm wondering if you and Lou realize that this - this journey - is what you are giving back. Your letters about Lou, they inspire us to be like Lou. To want to be good, kind, considerate, to want to continue like the good person he had always been no matter what the odds. And you inspire us to love, love, love until you think you can't anymore...and then take a deep breath and keep on loving.

So, that trip that he thinks he can take with you? It's this journey. Not one that any of us want to be on...but one that IS giving back in a very significant way. Thank you both for that. It's a priceless gift.

With warm thoughts and prayers,
Kara
Wife of Butch, age 43, dx GBM inoperable December 2004.
www.caringbridge.com/ca/butchgamboa

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cathy,

I've got tears running down my cheeks
or, as Fred would have said
I seem to be leaking ...

I think both Kara & Michelle have said it very well ... Lou's gifts are significant, and you are the voice that brings his gifts to life.

Thanks for sharing this with us ..

12:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home