Lessons from Lou

This blog is about my journey through the brain tumor world with my dear husband, Lou. While not a journey I would wish on even my worst enemy, it is a journey that has enlightened and awakened me to what lies within us, and around us, each and every moment of each and every day. There are lessons here....lessons in this journey.....lessons from Lou....that I would like to share with you.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Picture of Lou (sick) and I at a party, circa 2005, long ago and faraway. I'm now a middle aged widow, trying to get my life back together. Mother of two young adult sons, living with two adult cats.

Friday, July 07, 2006

Wake Up

Earlier in this journey, I would say things like, "well, if people can wake up from comas after 20 years, maybe Lou can return to us". I had this idealistic vision of miraculously killing off the tumor, and replacing all the dead stuff with stem cells that formed new transmitters or whatever it is that's now gone. And Lou would then just one day wake up and say something like "wow, did I have a strange dream!", and all would be back to normal. Simple, huh? But then, how DO people wake up from comas after so long, and if they can do that, why can't Lou one day "wake up", assuming, of course, that somehow the tumor disappears. Totally different, I know. The news just reported another person waking up from a coma after 19 years or some such. Can you imagine how strange that would be?? Sometimes I think that is what it is like for Lou, each and every morning, like waking up from a coma. He doesn't know where he is, what day it is, what month it is, etc. Today he was very anxious in the morning, talking in his sleep, tossing, turning, he could not calm down. I think a feeling of panic comes over him when he realizes that something is wrong...and he DOES realize something is wrong. The other day he said to me that he felt something is "missing"...that he has missed large chunks of time. When he says things like that, I think maybe he is getting better...that's a pretty astute thing to say, right? Oh Cathy, you are the one who is dreaming...wake up, silly girl, wake up.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

Cathy it may be silly but I think after all you have been through that it is ok to dream. I think everyone should dream and hope. It might be an impossible dream but that is ok. Sometimes we need to dream to make it through a day. So my friend don't ever stop dreaming and hoping.

12:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cathy, I came home tonight from a wonderful evening out to a wedding and very nice reception of a young family friend. As soon as I got home I found myself checking on my online friends. Had wonderful news from Michelle on Nicholas and seems to be good news on Ashley. It was a great feeling of relief. After I had these feelings I then stepped back and thought of Michelle who I saw at the wedding and was looking forward to seeing at the reception to have a chance to speak to her. Then I had to look at reality. Everyone there all of she and Dave's friends and co-workers. How hard it would be for her I am sure. It is easier for us to see her there with Kenny than for her to think of being there without Dave. I also checked on you and Lou and had to realize again I was out having fun and for a short time had forgotten how your life has changed. How maybe as little as a year ago you could have been out with us. How things change in such a short time. How I need to be thankful for my family and for our health. To think of you and to pray for your strength.
I always look forward to your sharing with us. God Bless You and thank you for helping me to look deeper into my day to day life. God Bless You Cathy

1:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home