Lessons from Lou

This blog is about my journey through the brain tumor world with my dear husband, Lou. While not a journey I would wish on even my worst enemy, it is a journey that has enlightened and awakened me to what lies within us, and around us, each and every moment of each and every day. There are lessons here....lessons in this journey.....lessons from Lou....that I would like to share with you.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Picture of Lou (sick) and I at a party, circa 2005, long ago and faraway. I'm now a middle aged widow, trying to get my life back together. Mother of two young adult sons, living with two adult cats.

Sunday, June 25, 2006

Happy Birthday Lou

Today is Lou's 70th birthday. Ordinarily, such a milestone would certainly elicit a grand acknowledgement of some sort, such as a party, or maybe even a trip, or who knows. Alas, not this year..no, not this year. Inspite of the fact that we are, of course, so happy he has made it to 70, we can't really celebrate it in the traditional manner. Lou doesn't really know it is his birthday today. We have decided to only acknowledge it once, after dinner. Last weekend, we talked about Father's Day several times throughout the day, and poor Lou dissolved into tears each and every time. We finally got the message and stopped, we never gave him his presents. Such things make him very emotional now. And, each time he hears it, it's the "first time" of course. It just is not worth the emotional turmoil, on all of us. So, it's just another day here, another Sunday. I am glad we had a big party last year for Lou's birthday. It was well attended and Lou was really able to enjoy it. I never thought he'd be here for another birthday. I didn't think he'd be here for THIS birthday eleven years ago, truth be told. But here we are. I wish we could really celebrate this day. I wish we could do it up in the manner he so deserves. But since we can't, I wish the day would be over. Does that make any sense? Probably not, but then, nothing much does make sense anymore. Happy Birthday dear Lou.....I love you so very much, that is about the only thing that still does makes sense.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you ever noticed how when you are falling in or out of love ... or having great emotional pain ... that every song is written just for you? Even Happy Birthday, if sung property, can be a painful song ... especially for those of us losing the battle against brain cancer ... or those of us who have already lost it ... it all makes perfect sense Cathy ... each and every word.

11:55 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Belated Birthday Wishes Lou!

Prayers
Sue

2:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, Sweet Lou!
More than you imagined,
but also less...
my heart is with you.

8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home