Lessons from Lou

This blog is about my journey through the brain tumor world with my dear husband, Lou. While not a journey I would wish on even my worst enemy, it is a journey that has enlightened and awakened me to what lies within us, and around us, each and every moment of each and every day. There are lessons here....lessons in this journey.....lessons from Lou....that I would like to share with you.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Picture of Lou (sick) and I at a party, circa 2005, long ago and faraway. I'm now a middle aged widow, trying to get my life back together. Mother of two young adult sons, living with two adult cats.

Saturday, May 06, 2006

Party Time

Tonight I attended a fund raiser for the brain tumor center at Northwestern, where Lou is being treated (or should I say, WAS being treated). Lou's agency is becoming involved in this cause by working on a brochure, and we wanted to support the fund raiser...good cause of course! Several folks from the office came, Drew and his date, and myself. It was a great party. But it was the first time I've been to such a function without Lou. And we go to ALOT of these types of things. I felt like I was missing an appendage. I'm so used to being arm and arm with Lou at things like this. I felt so alone at times, so completely alone, in this large crowd of partying people. And I wanted to say to so many of them..."hey, my husband is sitting at home with a brain tumor. You guys are all so lucky to be here dancing away......do you KNOW that" ????? I didn't stay til the end. I was happy to come home to my buddy....my dear, sweet buddy, who said "thank you for making it a nice day" to me, as he went to bed......how can he say this?? How could it have possibly been a nice day for him??? It was NOT a nice day at all for him....he fell once, was sad, and slept half the day....but he FEELS it was a nice day....I'll take it. I'll take it over parties and dancing.....it's enough...for now, it is enough..... Goodnight, all.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is the one thing I cannot (and completely refuse to) get used to....being without him at functions. Fred and I had completely seperate lives, but when it came to events, parties and such, I didn't look far to find my perfect date. I'm boycotting "couple" events for at least one year ... maybe forever ... If I can't go with my perfect date, I'd rather be at home with a funny mask on my face, watching and old movie. I can't do it Cath ... you amaze me that you can.

Love to you ...

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cathy I am so glad to see you have a page. I think of you often and wonder how your doing. Now have someway to check on you. You,Lou and your family are all in my prayers.
Team Meyer
Kathie

11:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Cathy, thank you for the comments on my wife's site. I am looking at our two (brain tmr web sites)that you are so great at responding to.

We feel very fortunate and really believe all those positive thoughts and prayers from others make such a bid difference.

You are an inspiration to us in regards to how you take care of Lou and offer so much support to others.

Take care, Scott in Seattle, h/o Pam, GBM 7/04

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see Scott write about his wife's site. If he is willing to share would love to check in on her and keep them in my prayers. (will do so anyway with out a site). Cathy I am checking into see how things are for you,Lou and the family. Hope you have some peace.
Kathie, Team Meyer Walla Walla.

11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home