Lessons from Lou

This blog is about my journey through the brain tumor world with my dear husband, Lou. While not a journey I would wish on even my worst enemy, it is a journey that has enlightened and awakened me to what lies within us, and around us, each and every moment of each and every day. There are lessons here....lessons in this journey.....lessons from Lou....that I would like to share with you.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Picture of Lou (sick) and I at a party, circa 2005, long ago and faraway. I'm now a middle aged widow, trying to get my life back together. Mother of two young adult sons, living with two adult cats.

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

The Lessons

Oh yes....The Lessons. I meant to START with The Lessons......a friend said these are not lessons from "Lou's brain tumor"...they are lessons from Lou, lessons that have been there all along.....maybe I am just getting them now.....because of the brain tumor....? It is true. Before the brain tumor (that would be BBT), I don't think I "saw" everything, or "heard" everything that was going on around me...I"m quite sure I did not appreciate everything. That changed with the BT. I see alot now. I hear alot now. I get it now, I do. And I appreciate a heck of alot more now too....it took THIS to make that happen? Talk about being in your own world...guess I was.... Lessons from Lou l. You can't do it alone. At some point, you gotta yell for help...the sooner, the better. 2. I can live without manicures, I CANNOT live without lattes. 3. Decorating really doesn't matter......the people in the place are what matters. 4. It's amazing how beautiful the sound of Lou's snoring is............... 5. One can live on grilled cheese and tomato sandwiches for quite awhile, especially if on whole grain bread......... 6. Your children are so much more incredible then you ever could have imagined......... 7. Your friends and family are so much more incredible then you ever could have imagined! 8. Doctors do it for a living, patients do it for life. There's a difference. Bother the doctors as much as you need to. 9. No matter how bad you think you have it, someone else really DOES have it worse. 10. God DOES answer prayers, just not always as you might like. 11. Some people just don't get it. 12. Waterproof mascara. Nuff said. 13. If you make the moments count, you will not have to worry about making memories 14. Always say "I love You" 15. There is usually an up after a down, sometimes it just takes awhile 16. Elastic waistbands really are ok......... 17. your friends don't care if you are wearing your pj's..... 18. This is NOT like Lance Armstrong. 19. This is NOT like Tuesdays with Morrie 20. Make sure you know where the lock box key is. 21. Staying home with someone you love can be fun 22. Stacks are better then one big pile.... 23. If you look hard enough, you will find the good in most things.............. 24. At some point, you just gotta laugh. 25. Champagne never hurts 26. Never take your blood pressure after watching the news 27. Pita chips are NOT a diet food 28. Be nice to the nurse who draws blood 29. It's better to go out in a wheelchair then not to go out at all 30. The best anniversary gift is.....having an anniversary. We celebrated our 25th on April 11.......that was the best gift ever! More to come, Cath

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Dearest Cathy,
You speak from the heart,
sharing with us
words of truth,
powerful words
with a message of hope.
Your love shines brightly
on these pages.
Your lessons,
well-learned,
hard-earned,
touch my heart.
Love, Chelle

1:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cathy, I hadn't thought about peace after midnight in that way before. "It" sleeps. If you breathe softly enough, you won't wake it. You can pretend that everything is normal way up above the city, close to the stars. And the snoring sounds beautiful. Mom had said that too. You are writing truths here. And I think that the writing that takes place "during" can't help but be so completely on target, compared to retrospectively. You've nailed the little things. People may be inclined to say that Lou is a hero and that you are a saint, but it's in the nitty gritty, down into life's grout lines, that beautiful and poignant things emerge. Thank you so much for sharing these vignettes. I'm really looking forward to more. Love, Diane

1:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you did it again...brought tears to my eyes....happy, sad, joyous tears...

4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cathy, how wonderful. You along with Michelle teach us so much. God Bless You.

12:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dearest Cathy,
I was just reading a journal when I came upon your blog which really touched me. I find that your Lou was wise, funny and a great person. I wish I would have known about your blog sooner. Your words are so very heartfelt and inspiring and I myself wish I could have met Lou. Your love shines brightly on these pages I read. Your words truly touched my heart in more ways than one. Thanks for sharing your life and love with people. Take care.

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home