Lessons from Lou

This blog is about my journey through the brain tumor world with my dear husband, Lou. While not a journey I would wish on even my worst enemy, it is a journey that has enlightened and awakened me to what lies within us, and around us, each and every moment of each and every day. There are lessons here....lessons in this journey.....lessons from Lou....that I would like to share with you.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Picture of Lou (sick) and I at a party, circa 2005, long ago and faraway. I'm now a middle aged widow, trying to get my life back together. Mother of two young adult sons, living with two adult cats.

Friday, June 18, 2010

Sail On

Another Father's Day is almost here, another birthday. It has been almost four years now since Lou died, six really, he never was the same after that diagnosis. So much has happened in these years and so little, too. Two steps forward, one step back, trial and error. Every day. To find your place again, after something like this, is so very hard. I'm often disheartened by my lack of progress. And I still don't know how to program this blog so I can indent or even have spaces between the lines! OK OK, enough with the self pity you say. Yes, I agree. Here goes then, a final list of lessons. What I know for sure after four years: l. Starting over is very hard to do. Especially if you liked the life you had and wish you had it back. 2. You may not get over it but you can eventually accept it. 3. Learn to be alone. To like yourself. You're stuck with you. There's always self improvement. 4. Try something new. Just don't bite off more than you can chew. A year's worth of Bikram yoga might not be such a hot idea. Actually, that would be too hot. 5. Move forward. Or just move. 6. Get a pet, preferably one that cuddles. 7. Clean the closets. And under the sink. And your make up bag. 8. Drink lots of coffee. every. single. morning. 9. Drink lots of champagne. Whenever you can. 10. You will make it, you will. I'm sailing on from this blog. Thanks for stopping by!

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said my friend ... well said.

xo,
C

11:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The end of this blog makes me feel like I'm losing a friend...and I've learned so much from the friendship.
Take care of yourself. You will continue to make progress...and I'll bet you have made much more than you realize. You have certainly enriched many lives through your sharing.

10:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad I stopped by today.....keep going and keep growing...

11:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Farewell, Good Fortune.

Miss you.

3:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what drew me to "Lessons from Lou" this morning haven't looked at it forever. I lost my beloved Tom in a short six month battle with Pulmonary Fibrosis on April 3, 2010. Many days when I didn't think I could do one more day I remembered lessons I learned from you Cathy, from your boys and from sweet Lou. Never in a million years when I began following your blog did I know I would soon have my own caring bridge site which I too have stopped writing on http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/thomasclark
I believe all the things you write about 4 years in the making. I wish you well.
Love and Hugs
Sue Clark clarkfamily89@gmail.com

8:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are an amazing woman!!! i check every once in a while to see if you've left another comment---hoping....... but i also understand your need to leave this site. you have enriched my life--and i never expected that.
living is for the living--so do it full tilt......

4:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home